The Duck Thread

She is a pekin, and normally they don't, but she sure does. She tried three times last year but her nest was broken into all three times. I'm hoping she'll get ducklings on her first try this year.
fl.gif

I have a question about my drake... Whenever he tries to mate with her "wife" (hen) he quits after staying on her back in about 5-10 secs everytime. Is something wrong?
First how old are the pair? If he is still pretty young he may just be trying to figure it all out. Does he quit because he falls off or she shifts to toss him aside? Duck mating is not very romantic and does not take all that much time in the best or circumstances. Just be patient and let them determine what they want to do.

They are both 1 year old, and have before mated alot with each others.

First how old are the pair? If he is still pretty young he may just be trying to figure it all out. Does he quit because he falls off or she shifts to toss him aside? Duck mating is not very romantic and does not take all that much time in the best or circumstances. Just be patient and let them determine what they want to do.

@Ren2014 keep him in till the wound is healed over [scabbed] nothing open. and then once you put him out keep something like Blue kote on it. I'd check it daily just to make sure he hasn't somehow opened it up. How is it looking now?

Oh I know isn't it gross about maggots I have followed a few threads here about chickens and ducks getting them real bad.

@Ren2014 keep him in till the wound is healed over [scabbed] nothing open. and then once you put him out keep something like Blue kote on it. I'd check it daily just to make sure he hasn't somehow opened it up. How is it looking now?

Oh I know isn't it gross about maggots I have followed a few threads here about chickens and ducks getting them real bad.
He isn't wanting anymore of this inside stuff, lol. I caught him sitting on the toilet earlier... IF only I could toilet train him
big_smile.png
Honestly I haven't looked at it since the bleeding stopped. Having to hold him and then flip him bottom up was causing him so much stress. I just reach under and spray up now. With his feathers dry now you can't really see the wound. I will get a good look and hopefully picture this evening.

A toilet trained duck wow you could make millions..

Poor guy well your doing this for his own good. So he is just going to have to put up with it. They make a product called Swat that is suppose to keep flies off of wounds but with water fowl Not sure how well that would work since they love to get wet.
hmm.png

A toilet trained duck wow you could make millions..

Poor guy well your doing this for his own good. So he is just going to have to put up with it. They make a product called Swat that is suppose to keep flies off of wounds but with water fowl Not sure how well that would work since they love to get wet.
hmm.png
Wouldn't that be just AWESOME, lol. I can pretty much tell when he's going to go so when I see it coming I could put him on the toilet until he gets the idea. The thing is, I don't think HE knows when it's going to happen
big_smile.png

We looked at the wound today and couldn't find it because of his feathers. My DH and I do not work well together in these situations. All I could manage was to find a 'crusty' spot and told him to spray there. I ended up with purple fingers and no pictures. Keeping him in again tonight and will soak him tomorrow and then look for it when his feathers are all wet and can be easily moved out of the way. Wish me luck
fl.gif
And pray that we don't end up in divorce court
lol.png
OR WORSE
lau.gif
I won't mention that scenario on account of premeditation charges, lol
gig.gif

Oh you poor thing.
lol.png
Best thing to do is get a substitute to take DH's place.
tongue.png

On a side note, maybe you should have clipped the feathers around the wound so you could treat it better. See what you find tomorrow and maybe you can still clip if it isn't closed up. Clipping also helps keep feathers from being closed up in the wound.

Back
Top Bottom