The Duck Thread

Have you noticed a new sign on the door that says" Fred's Room" Keep out DH? He is so cute sitting up there but lid is suppose to be up if going to potty train. lol

Only way to see what is going on with his wound is to get those feathers out of the way. whether you clip or just wet him then look you need to make sure it looks good and isn't oozing or anything. Be sure to cover with Swat before putting him outside if the area still looks wet to keep the flies off of him.

My drake comes in once in a while to visit, I keep the paper towels and clean up spray handy. He comes in more in off season [when mating season is over] He thinks he is one of the dogs. Has his own bed etc bowl for his morning dog food.
love.gif
I should have made a sign, lol. I will leave the lid up next time. Maybe he will learn to perch there and wa lah, auto potty trained. I WISH.

Wound looked great. He is back outside. We drained the pond and he was in heaven. He thought we did it just for him. He was confused at night time lock up but I finally got him in safe and sound.
How precious! I tried to get Fred to come out of the bathroom on his own and I get "don't let that duck walk through this house!"
barnie.gif
DH ruins all the fun.

I am really in need of some help with my flock. I have only been a duck mommy for a few months and I am still learning all about them. I have 13 ducks of different breeds (7 male, 6 female). I know my ratios are way off and I have been working on that. I have two dominant male pekins who have taken most of the females. One in particular, Nellie, is the favorite of many of the males. I have had to separate Nellie with her mate, Ollie, so she could get away from all the males. There are two magpie males, Daffy and Buttercup, that love Nellie too. Actually Nellie, Ollie, Daffy and Buttercup are like best buds and are together all the time. Now, since I had to separate Nellie and Ollie together, Daffy and Buttercup are running around their pen and want to be near them so badly. I know this is partially because they want Nellie but also because they want to be with Nellie and Ollie in general. I feel so bad for all them. They seem so confused. I've been thinking long and hard about rehoming 3 of my male pekins so that frees up the other females for Daffy and Buttercup. But my fear is that, even if I rehome the pekins, Daffy and Buttercup will still want Nellie and that will be three males wanting her which I know is bad. I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing by separating Nellie and Ollie from their friends. Could anyone please help me with some solutions to this problem? Thank you so much!
I would definitely rehome as many males as possible. I know it's hard but separating them is the safest thing for the girls. I would actually pen all of the males and let the girls free range. Let one or two males in occasionally. Good luck.

She have been sitting on her egg since May 15th, and still no sound of the baby. I can clearly she she's inside because of the darkish colour around the egg and she's protecing her egg very closely!
The problem is that she is VERY aggressive, hit any other muscovies which enters the muscovy house (even it is the home to all of them!). Anyone who can give me a piece of advice?

Darkish color around the egg? That could be a sign it's rotten. I know it's scary, but the bite really isn't all that bad and can be worth it if you're saving a baby or removing a rotten egg. Good luck.

Quote:
Let us know what you find.
caf.gif
X2

Sugar's probably a bit miffed at me today. Imagine her surprise when I opened the door to the duck house and she's no longer free ranging but instead has a run! It's a big run, to be sure, but she seemed a little put off, lol. I was going to put one up anyway and now seemed like a good time since she'll have ducklings soon. The trick is going to be to get her and her ducklings to start sleeping in the right coop once they're older since this coop that she's in is for my welshies.

Still, she can't be too mad. She has her own pool, her own feeder, and her own entire coop.
If they could only understand it's all for THEM and we are really giving them a wonderful life
smile.png

I am really in need of some help with my flock.  I have only been a duck mommy for a few months and I am still learning all about them.  I have 13 ducks of different breeds (7 male, 6 female).  I know my ratios are way off and I have been working on that.  I have two dominant male pekins who have taken most of the females.  One in particular, Nellie, is the favorite of many of the males.  I have had to separate Nellie with her mate, Ollie, so she could get away from all the males.  There are two magpie males, Daffy and Buttercup, that love Nellie too.  Actually Nellie, Ollie, Daffy and Buttercup are like best buds and are together all the time.  Now, since I had to separate Nellie and Ollie together, Daffy and Buttercup are running around their pen and want to be near them so badly.  I know this is partially because they want Nellie but also because they want to be with Nellie and Ollie in general.  I feel so bad for all them.  They seem so confused.  I've been thinking long and hard about rehoming 3 of my male pekins so that frees up the other females for Daffy and Buttercup.  But my fear is that, even if I rehome the pekins, Daffy and Buttercup will still want Nellie and that will be three males wanting her which I know is bad.  I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing by separating Nellie and Ollie from their friends.  Could anyone please help me with some solutions to this problem?  Thank you so much! 

Hi, i have 11 drakes, 2 are still a couple of months old and are still housed w/the ducks (female). i have Pekins, Runners, Buff O's & Blue Swedish. i have male and female of all breeds. I have 23 ducks and 11 drakes. i keep the ducks seperate from the drakes at all times, they do not sleep together & sadly they do not get to play together. cuz the drakes only want to mate, especially at this time of yr. when i want to breed them for hatching, i will put the like breeds together, the ducks and drakes. and i also put the same breeds together about 1 time per week so the drakes can have their fun and do what is natural. other than this, my ducks and drakes are seperate.
what i think is sad is when i let the drakes free-range and put the ducks in the pen area, the drakes will not go forage, they just hang out at the fence line and move when the ducks move, even when they have had their fun w/the ducks and even when it is not breeding season. maybe they will calm down when they get a little older? my ducks range from 3mos to 2 yrs old... they are still very young.
hope this helps you in any way???
2 days ago i left home for a few hours and when i got home 2 ducks were in w/t drakes. one ducks was running & running trying to get away from the drakes and one f/w runners neck was raw, red/bloody (a little). poor girls. i felt so bad. i got them out of there and doctored up the injured runner... she is fine today... those drakes are viscious, they are male, what else needs to be said about that, huh?
take care

edit to add text:

Last edited:
I am really in need of some help with my flock.  I have only been a duck mommy for a few months and I am still learning all about them.  I have 13 ducks of different breeds (7 male, 6 female).  I know my ratios are way off and I have been working on that.  I have two dominant male pekins who have taken most of the females.  One in particular, Nellie, is the favorite of many of the males.  I have had to separate Nellie with her mate, Ollie, so she could get away from all the males.  There are two magpie males, Daffy and Buttercup, that love Nellie too.  Actually Nellie, Ollie, Daffy and Buttercup are like best buds and are together all the time.  Now, since I had to separate Nellie and Ollie together, Daffy and Buttercup are running around their pen and want to be near them so badly.  I know this is partially because they want Nellie but also because they want to be with Nellie and Ollie in general.  I feel so bad for all them.  They seem so confused.  I've been thinking long and hard about rehoming 3 of my male pekins so that frees up the other females for Daffy and Buttercup.  But my fear is that, even if I rehome the pekins, Daffy and Buttercup will still want Nellie and that will be three males wanting her which I know is bad.  I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing by separating Nellie and Ollie from their friends.  Could anyone please help me with some solutions to this problem?  Thank you so much! 

my computer duplicated my post... sorry

Last edited:
Does the egg look like this one? this egg was DIS and started to stink a few days after i saw it look like this. This was the first time i saw an egg like this, so i took a pic and posted it on BYC for advice.... it was dead. hope this helps?

She is so aggressive that she will bite me if i dare to come any closer to her. I dont smell anything bad/wrong at all.

Last edited:
I am really in need of some help with my flock. I have only been a duck mommy for a few months and I am still learning all about them. I have 13 ducks of different breeds (7 male, 6 female). I know my ratios are way off and I have been working on that. I have two dominant male pekins who have taken most of the females. One in particular, Nellie, is the favorite of many of the males. I have had to separate Nellie with her mate, Ollie, so she could get away from all the males. There are two magpie males, Daffy and Buttercup, that love Nellie too. Actually Nellie, Ollie, Daffy and Buttercup are like best buds and are together all the time. Now, since I had to separate Nellie and Ollie together, Daffy and Buttercup are running around their pen and want to be near them so badly. I know this is partially because they want Nellie but also because they want to be with Nellie and Ollie in general. I feel so bad for all them. They seem so confused. I've been thinking long and hard about rehoming 3 of my male pekins so that frees up the other females for Daffy and Buttercup. But my fear is that, even if I rehome the pekins, Daffy and Buttercup will still want Nellie and that will be three males wanting her which I know is bad. I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing by separating Nellie and Ollie from their friends. Could anyone please help me with some solutions to this problem? Thank you so much!
I think you should rehome the 3 drakes and see what happens. They will adjust, it's amazing they just seem to "accept" things! LOL But you are correct "your ratios are way off". For your girls sake rehome the drakes.
Good luck!
M

Does the egg look like this one? this egg was DIS and started to stink a few days after i saw it look like this. This was the first time i saw an egg like this, so i took a pic and posted it on BYC for advice.... it was dead. hope this helps?

Ohh my God... The picture of the eggs are exactly like the one egg my momma muscovy is sitting on, beside that it is not that extreme darkish, but have some clearly spots of it... Then I have only 1 option left, make the momma move and take the egg for checking.

Thank you for the help!
1f60a.png

Yeah, I have 3 pure Rouens, so I think they're Blue Fawn. They don't match up with the one possible cross they could be.

You do know that blue fawn is just a color, right? That's all I can confirm... blue fawn is just mallard colored with blue gene added...

I have Rouen mixed ducklings that are all blue fawn... :)

Sugar's probably a bit miffed at me today. Imagine her surprise when I opened the door to the duck house and she's no longer free ranging but instead has a run! It's a big run, to be sure, but she seemed a little put off, lol. I was going to put one up anyway and now seemed like a good time since she'll have ducklings soon. The trick is going to be to get her and her ducklings to start sleeping in the right coop once they're older since this coop that she's in is for my welshies.

Still, she can't be too mad. She has her own pool, her own feeder, and her own entire coop.

Sugar sounds as spoiled as Lady Grey! :gig

Guess what... The egg was an DIS-egg and it exploded when i threw it on the ground!
1f633.png
I immediately washed the ground inside the house (with water) and under her nest was full of insects and creeps. They are all gone now
1f60a.png

Since she is so aggressive against the others, I have to sadly get rid of her
1f625.png

Back
Top Bottom