The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Glad you didn't get smashed! Yeah, their heads are massive and hard as granite. I remember!

They are! I did get hit in the stomach once and that hurt quite a bit! But when they are covered in flies and trying to lick them off that's what happens!

Oh yes, I always have something with me when I go in with sharky. I don't need to go in with him often, though. We have temporary lanes set up with the gates when we move him from his pasture to the orchard.

My horse recently moved here and I have been working to remind him of his manners. He got away with too much the last 12 years out to pasture. He now remembers that when I am feeding him in the barn he needs to stay to my right and away until I walk away and no sneaking bites out of the bucket before I dump it in. It is amazing what you can do with your body language too. They may not understand conversation, but they do understand tone and body language.

Cyn, You may have missed it or I may have missed it-- I had a couple questions about atlas when I posted the snow day pics.

Oh yes, I always have something with me when I go in with sharky. I don't need to go in with him often, though. We have temporary lanes set up with the gates when we move him from his pasture to the orchard.

My horse recently moved here and I have been working to remind him of his manners. He got away with too much the last 12 years out to pasture. He now remembers that when I am feeding him in the barn he needs to stay to my right and away until I walk away and no sneaking bites out of the bucket before I dump it in. It is amazing what you can do with your body language too. They may not understand conversation, but they do understand tone and body language.

Cyn, You may have missed it or I may have missed it-- I had a couple questions about atlas when I posted the snow day pics.
I could have sworn I answered a couple questions you asked around that time, Michelle. I'll go back and check, hope I can find them. If not, you'll have to ask again, sorry!

ETA: Ah, okay, this one?
Quote: It bothers him a great deal. He's always standing on one foot, kicking it behind him like he's trying to work out the kinks. Funny thing is, Apollo stands on the same one foot. I watched them doing it at the same time one day. But, Apollo doesn't act like his hock is stiff like Atlas does.

Last edited:
Yup! that's it! No worries, it was on my mind, as my horse who has chronic lameness is definitely more sore when the temps dip down. Wasn't sure if I kept looking over it. Sometimes question whether some of my posts actually show up on some other threads, lol!

Perhaps you just have a couple of flamingo imitators!!

Would you believe that I actually have my office windows open here? Listening to the warm breeze through the wind chimes and the two pullets in my mini coop chatter away. The one Delaware from sandhill plays mother hen with the mottled java pullet that is about a month younger. When I toss out scratch she tidbits and calls her over. Funny, because the MJ pullet is bigger than she is!!

Yup! that's it! No worries, it was on my mind, as my horse who has chronic lameness is definitely more sore when the temps dip down. Wasn't sure if I kept looking over it. Sometimes question whether some of my posts actually show up on some other threads, lol!

Perhaps you just have a couple of flamingo imitators!!

Would you believe that I actually have my office windows open here? Listening to the warm breeze through the wind chimes and the two pullets in my mini coop chatter away. The one Delaware from sandhill plays mother hen with the mottled java pullet that is about a month younger. When I toss out scratch she tidbits and calls her over. Funny, because the MJ pullet is bigger than she is!!

Oh yeah, it's warm and windy. That crazy blue partridge Brahma boy, Bash, had his wings out and was panting...at 65*! LOL. I think the sudden upswing in temps just was too much for him. I mean, a few days ago, the low was 5*! I think we all have weather whiplash. I have my windows open, too, working on a new log cabin bed quilt for someone here on BYC.

Here is the bull that is covering cows now and his first calf crop should start being born in March. He is a SimAngus bull with a great temperament and has amazing EPDs. He weighed 14-1500 pounds in this picture at the age of 14 months.

I like his topline, and he has good muscle development for 14 months

@holm25 Isaiah, is there an advantage to breeding Simnental with Angus in particular? He's a looker, that one! I wish my sister would send me the picture of her or me or both of us on my grandfather's Angus bull. I'd love that for my old photos collection.

I had a memory of my granddaddy walking around the herd with a long stick of some sort. He was a fairly short man, always wore a long sleeved flannel shirt with denim overalls and a pith helmet and carried that long stick. He never called my by my full name, always said "Cynthy". Best memories were the farm.

Back
Top Bottom