The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

That poor hen. I feel so bad for it. But what can you do with dumb owners? Dumb is mean to say but it's true is it not?

Poor old Dusty. At least she lived a GOOD LONG life with you. Your hens are so lucky to have an owner like you. My old hens don't even get to stick around that long... I only keep the hens that are good broodies and the rest will get butchered or sent on their way...

That's a real shame with the hen. It seems like a lot of people treat chickens like a dumb animal, when in fact a chicken is an incredibly social animal and very smart. Atlas looked like he was loving life in those photos.
They were really loving the warm sunshine today, even Dru, who hides in the barn to keep from being jumped by Atlas.

That poor hen. I feel so bad for it. But what can you do with dumb owners? Dumb is mean to say but it's true is it not?

Poor old Dusty. At least she lived a GOOD LONG life with you. Your hens are so lucky to have an owner like you. My old hens don't even get to stick around that long... I only keep the hens that are good broodies and the rest will get butchered or sent on their way...
Yes, she has. And she's lived a long time and has been well her entire life. She quit laying when Suede died four years ago and never laid again, but has never been bloated. She's been loved and admired here for her entire life so I hope if she's going, she goes quickly.

Good old girl Dusty.

I'm sitting at home waiting for the propane tanker to come fill my pig. While on both prepay and autofill, with a cash balance on my account, somehow they missed me and my tank ran dry. I thought the house seemed cold, but Jimmy said it was 68. Unfortunately that was the thermostat setting, not the actual temperature.

Right now it is 21 degrees outside and heading down. Fortunately the gas company truck is on the way. Since it was their fault, I will not have to pay the $150 fee for refilling and pressure testing a dry tank. Glad it did not happen while we were out of town a few weeks ago!

Last edited:
Good old girl Dusty.

I'm sitting at home waiting for the propane tanker to come fill my pig. While on both prepay and autofill, with a cash balance on my account, somehow they missed me and my tank ran dry. I thought the house seemed cold, but Jimmy said it was 68. Unfortunately that was the thermostat setting, not the actual temperature.

Right now it is 21 degrees outside and heading down. Fortunately the gas company truck is on the way. Since it was their fault, I will not have to pay the $150 fee for refilling and pressure testing a dry tank. Glad it did not happen while we were out of town a few weeks ago!
Oh, good grief! We're having someone come out Monday to give an estimate on installing a whole house standby generator. We hopefully can hook it up to our big propane bottle that we use for only our cooking since it's LP or NG compatible. That was one hole in our emergency plan, something to keep the well pump running in case of an electrical event. I have a lot of water put aside, but not enough for this many chickens for an extended period. The generator will help.

P.S. I love the pictures of the bar code birds.
Haha, bar code birds, yup, that's what they are. A guy who got eggs from me years ago here said they hurt his eyes, like the old television test pattern.

It feels like one of my friends went to camp. Not having internet access causes me to go through withdrawal, something I never though I would have troubles with.

Back
Top Bottom