The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I caught my big chocolate Orpington rooster standing in the open topped nestboxes showing a pullet where to do her business. He's turning into a big boy and a good one. He looks like your Suede did, but he's chocolate. He's a gorgeous boy, and maybe a really good one.

I had to pull the two other young big roosters from the group because they were pecking my salmon faverolle hen in the head. I think the Wyandotte is going, and I will hold onto the big splash Cochin rooster for a few months and see how he goes. The Wyandotte has been pecking pullets in the head for a few months. He apparently isn't very bright.

I would love to see Hector in person, he must be very impressive. Pictures don't often do chickens justice in my opinion.

I caught my big chocolate Orpington rooster standing in the open topped nestboxes showing a pullet where to do her business. He's turning into a big boy and a good one. He looks like your Suede did, but he's chocolate. He's a gorgeous boy, and maybe a really good one.

I had to pull the two other young big roosters from the group because they were pecking my salmon faverolle hen in the head. I think the Wyandotte is going, and I will hold onto the big splash Cochin rooster for a few months and see how he goes. The Wyandotte has been pecking pullets in the head for a few months. He apparently isn't very bright.

I would love to see Hector in person, he must be very impressive. Pictures don't often do chickens justice in my opinion.

That last thing you said is very true. I think that's why I've not been all that enamored with the chocolate color-I think it just doesn't photograph true. I'd love to see a picture of your big boy, Lisa. I sure miss Suede. I remember not caring for Russian Orloffs until I saw a trio in person and realized what handsome birds they are.

Hector is a wide load. I wish he'd get his tail back. I have all his tail hanging over my window in my quilting room to remind me that he did get an impressive one...eventually.

I will have to get some fresh photos of him. He's gotten more pretty in the last month, all I have are the ones from about a month ago. They don't do him justice at all, but maybe I'm biased.

The hen shows the chocolate color better. That little rooster has gotten better looking too after his molt. I will hopefully remember to take the camera out tomorrow.

I will have to get some fresh photos of him. He's gotten more pretty in the last month, all I have are the ones from about a month ago. They don't do him justice at all, but maybe I'm biased.

View attachment 1209628

The hen shows the chocolate color better. That little rooster has gotten better looking too after his molt. I will hopefully remember to take the camera out tomorrow.

View attachment 1209629

The hen does show the color better, you're right, but he's handsome. I really love that little rooster! One of Atlas's brothers out of Rex had a birchen-like color similar to that cutie-pie. I don't recall who the mother was, though.

The hen does show the color better, you're right, but he's handsome. I really love that little rooster! One of Atlas's brothers out of Rex had a birchen-like color similar to that cutie-pie. I don't recall who the mother was, though.
He is an interesting looking little guy, and is feisty too. I have 5 Cochin, and Cochin cross roosters in the big shed that keep each other on their toes. I enjoy their antics. I may just keep the little guys from now on after all my big ones are gone. They are just as good as look outs as the big boys are.

He is an interesting looking little guy, and is feisty too. I have 5 Cochin, and Cochin cross roosters in the big shed that keep each other on their toes. I enjoy their antics. I may just keep the little guys from now on after all my big ones are gone. They are just as good as look outs as the big boys are.

He reminds me of Xander. That boy would run the big boys around like he was twice their size. I still remember him and Atlas accidentally ending up in the barn aisle together and he was giving Atlas a time. Plus, he was adorable running with his little bedroom slipper feet.

@oldhenlikesdogs
Where are your choc. orps from?
I ordered some of those fancy hatching eggs from My Pet Chicken last year. I am very impressed with the quality of the birds. The hen hasn't started laying yet, but I am happy having her as eye candy. She's just as big and fluffy as he is.

He reminds me of Xander. That boy would run the big boys around like he was twice their size. I still remember him and Atlas accidentally ending up in the barn aisle together and he was giving Atlas a time. Plus, he was adorable running with his little bedroom slipper feet.
I love little chickens in bedroom slippers too. It's such an adorable run. My little guys can sometimes bluff the big boys, and sometimes they get the business. There's always something interesting going on. No wonder I get nothing done most days.

Though I love the roosters I have now, I can see all my girls running with two or three little men like your boy and my Xander. They are excellent lookouts and Xander had a deep crow for a short guy, too, not like the earsplitting shrieks of the D'Anvers.

Back
Top Bottom