The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I guess you will be playing musical roosters for a while. Sometimes after it starts getting hot again for summer, and we get past spring they can get along again as they aren't so interested in dominance.

I bet Hector will never get along with Apollo. He's just that way. I wish it was seasonal! But, spring coming on may exacerbate the issues between them. I know Atlas could teach Hector a thing or two, but I don't want either of them hurt.

Reading about your Rooster behavior makes me sweat, our four Sulmtalers boys have been sizing each other up more and more, no one seems to actually get physical, but they do give each other a jump and a flare. I need to get these breeding stalls up so everyone can assert themselves in their own space LOL

That's a shame about Apollo and Hector. I hope Apollo will be alright, maybe it'll make him happy when he knows he's a daddy. And I hope Xander will get better soon. It was quite entertaining watching him in the video you posted about him months ago.

When you guys were talking about roosters sizing each other up in the spring does it actually happen? Do the hormones start coming back again because I have my two cockerels who will a year old in March. Should I worry about them?

My cockerel polish are chasing the hens and each other all over the paddock. The past few days of spring like weather has made them all crazy. Even my cockerel Orpington s are getting testy

Increasing daylight equals increasing hormones for poultry. Not all roosters fight though.

That's a shame about Apollo and Hector. I hope Apollo will be alright, maybe it'll make him happy when he knows he's a daddy. And I hope Xander will get better soon. It was quite entertaining watching him in the video you posted about him months ago.

When you guys were talking about roosters sizing each other up in the spring does it actually happen? Do the hormones start coming back again because I have my two cockerels who will a year old in March. Should I worry about them?

Though roosters breed year round, they are more rowdy at the beginning of spring.
For all those who have watched Bambi, everyone is Twitterpated.
Amen! If you've seen guinea cocks chase each other in the spring, (they are seasonal breeders), that word fits perfectly.

Wow, another exciting day on the mountain. I hope little Xander does okay.

I want boredom. This a.m., Zara looks sluggish. WTH is going on? She has zero symptoms but acts like she's colder than she should be. It's 45* in the barn. Athena is jumping around like normal. I'm so tired of problems. It's been an unusually eventful few weeks here and I want it over with. Whoever is going to die needs to just go ahead and do it. Sounds harsh, but I can't string along weak birds. And I can't fix what I can't diagnose or even see. ALL except Hector's two pullets and the bantams (and Dusty) were wormed two weeks ago, so that isn't it. Nobody here has ever had lice/mites and I do check them when I hold them periodically.

I realize that like people, they are not always 100% perky, but they also can't tell me what's wrong, if anything. So, I'm left with worrying and wondering and checking off everything I'm doing with them, which is the normal routine that's kept them all healthy for the past 12 years. Xander may just be shutting down. Bantam Cochin roosters, as far as I know, are not long-lived. Dusty is still kicking, her crop is way less bloaty than it was, but she is probably missing Xander about now. Tessa's feathers are coming in fast, but she's still pretty bare. The old hens seem status quo. I had to leave Rowena in with Hector because Neela is now deathly afraid of her, clearly panics if she sees Ro. I may end up moving Wendy in with Hector, too, since she and Ro are sisters and have always been together, but Dusty would have no one she's used to rooming with right now if I did that.

Brahma update: Bonnie is on eggs. Brandy is on eggs.I should candle Bonnie's today, really. None are from Hector's pen because they are still super tiny.

ETA:
Candled the eggs under Bonnie on Day 7. All four of the ones from Apollo's pen are fertile (2 Athena, 2 Zara). Of the four Brahma eggs, only one is definitely developing. The other three appear to be clears but I will let them go a couple more days to be certain.

Brandy insisted on having her own. She has five eggs total, four Brahmas and one from Apollo's pen. Since these were collected later than the others, after Bash had been with the girls and no competition from his brother, I feel they may have better fertility than the ones Bonnie has. Today is officially Day One for Brandy. I think it may be possible that they can brood in the same coop after Brandy's eggs hatch, we'll see. They get along very well even both being broody.

Last edited:
It is a busy day indeed for you. You are already hatching? We are still frozen here. Since I like raising chicks when it's warmer outside I wait until May an June.

Since we switched our talk to Orpingtons on the Cochin thread I though I would come over here to ask if you had shared pictures of Suede. I am a big Orpington fan even though the roosters always get frostbite. I do recall you talking about him, and I think I saw pictures of him somewhere. He lived a pretty long live for a big boy.

Back
Top Bottom