The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Today, Apollo's oldest/largest son is bullying all the chicks...except little dwarf pullet, Pooh-bear. She hangs with them and Piglet. The others are afraid of him, though they are larger. He reminds me of Hector a little at that age.

In other news, the elderly woman across from me has two new hens, adult hens. WHY??????? The last one died, obviously, and her other two were sooooo much work, said she, so why get two more? Looks like a Leghorn and maybe an Australorp, couldn't see well because they were inside the coop. I do NOT want those hens over here! I have no idea where she got them, but they're full grown.

I found this sign, perfect! BUT, the description said it was a "funny sign". Um, what's funny? I'm serious!

Quote:

Last edited:
We are losing Piglet already. He was hunched up this a.m.. Yes, it was chilly, but no one else was very cold and when I brought them a plate of scrambled eggs, he didn't eat much. I just found him outside, hunched against the wind, while all the others were inside. Took him in the house and let DH hold him while I got a warm place ready for him to rest so he would not be hassled. So, he and Pooh are in the hospital cage, brought her for company, and he's breathing very hard, eyes closed. She seems okay so far. He's not as old as Rocky and Jet were , just turning 7 weeks old.

This is the type of dwarfism that Piglet has:

Quote: So you see they are pretty much hatched with a kill switch. We just don't know when it will flip until it does.

Last edited:
sad.png
hugs.gif

He will be gone before dark, poor sweet baby. He's warm and unhassled, at least.
sad.png

Apollo's pther sons are doing well. The oldest is gorgeous, the younger one is also handsome.

The 6 week old

Big Bossy Brother

The picture is blurry but his barring is crisp. they both look great in that department.

Poor Piglet
1f622.png
He's in a little nest under the heat lamp resting, but I expect he'll be gone by morning.

Beautiful barring. What a shame that they likely carry genetic time bombs.
As long as they are bred to unrelated hens and the inbreeding doesn't crash in on itself like it did here, they'd be okay. There's no way to tell if they carry the gene, of course. Out of 4 chicks, 2 dwarfs and 2 normal ones. Could be neither have it at all or one has it or both carry it, but if the parents pass to 50% of their progeny, someone had to be skipped.

Back
Top Bottom