The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics

These are the eggs I set yesterday. The white ones are 11 Dorkings from BYC er BethBug...expertly packed and beautiful. The More Colorful 12 are a hen's choice lot from ChooksChick also beautifully packed. I also put a dozen eggs from my own and my uncles mixed flocks in so I am really excited to see what everyone looks like. They have been in for nearly 24 hours and the bator has been holding temperature perfectly. Do you see the two green ones? they are from a Mauve chocolate Ameraucana breeding pen... so exciting! Also thrilled about the 2 Chocolate Rocks, the Lavender and Lemon Orps the 3 Part. Chantecler and the 3 that she included from her dual purpose project flock. Both of these sellers sent a ton of extras and were great to deal with. I highly recommend them.

The packing was like wishers a box in a box with lots of packing peanuts/shredded paper surrounding. Bethbug had hers in a foam egg holder and then 5 additionals wrapped in bubble wrap. ChooksChick had the foam egg thing for each of the ones she sent to me.

One thing, Beth Bugs eggs arrived about 24 hours before ChooksChicks so the Dorking eggs sat for a day. The others I unpacked let sit for about 30 min and then popped everything into the bator so we shall see if there is a big difference.

I will keep you posted! Best of luck and "be Strong" prayers for the hatchers and the hatchlings!

Bamachicks and Ron congrats on those hatches! Hmmmm how many times have people said THAT on this thread. We sure appreciate your expertise here!

Bamachicks and Ron congrats on those hatches! Hmmmm how many times have people said THAT on this thread. We sure appreciate your expertise here!

fl.gif
The hatches have been very good this year!

Did I tell you that I get to pick up one of my EO Basque Roosters tomorrow? I am sending him along with 4 EO Basque pullets to a place in Winters where they will go into a breeding pen. I will begin hatching eggs in a three weeks with the goal of hatching out a 100 or so for an egg farm.

I will be crazy staggered hatching....
ep.gif

I a very excited!

I have spent my whole evening reading this complete thread and feel I am ready for my two dozen fertile eggs I am getting this coming week. 12 Buff Orps and 12 Rhodebars. Orps are being shipped and the Rhodebars I am picking up. Everywhere else I have read to turn eggs the first 18 days. Nowhere did I find any mention about the condition of the air sacs. I have been all over the place looking for information and this thread has been both educational and entertaining. Thank you for your willingness to share.

It took me three evening of reading, but I finally made it through!

First, thank you wisher and everyone for the wealth of information here. I only wish I would have found this thread before I ordered eggs, because I would have made sure to ask questions as to how they would be packed.

I decided to attempt hatching some shipped NN for my hubs because he has been asking for them for a long while, and I really really want some barnevelders. I just do not want to spend that much on eggs without trying my luck at a few shipped hatches first. So bring on the NN's. I believe I am getting them this coming week.

I have spent my whole evening reading this complete thread and feel I am ready for my two dozen fertile eggs I am getting this coming week. 12 Buff Orps and 12 Rhodebars. Orps are being shipped and the Rhodebars I am picking up. Everywhere else I have read to turn eggs the first 18 days. Nowhere did I find any mention about the condition of the air sacs. I have been all over the place looking for information and this thread has been both educational and entertaining. Thank you for your willingness to share.

It took me three evening of reading, but I finally made it through!

First, thank you wisher and everyone for the wealth of information here. I only wish I would have found this thread before I ordered eggs, because I would have made sure to ask questions as to how they would be packed.

I decided to attempt hatching some shipped NN for my hubs because he has been asking for them for a long while, and I really really want some barnevelders. I just do not want to spend that much on eggs without trying my luck at a few shipped hatches first. So bring on the NN's. I believe I am getting them this coming week.
I am very happy that this thread has helped! Wisher had a great idea when she thought this thread up.

Loghousemom: The first hatch is always a big learning experience. You learn a lot with the first couple of hatches--take a lot of notes and use this hatching chart: http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/hatchchart/hatchturnscheentry.php

pickitfarm: A lot of people do not pay attention to the air cell condition or development. That is fine for local eggs but shipped eggs are another story. I am glad you found this thread helpful
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to our new members. I was like both of you when I found the thead. I love it. My first group of eggs are on lockdown, due tomorrow. I have candled them all and I have to say I don't know what I'm looking at. I know my numbers will be low. :( But it is a learning experience. I'm pretty sure I heard some peeps this morning. We will see. Cheers
[COLOR=0000FF]I have spent my whole evening reading this complete thread and feel I am ready for my two dozen fertile eggs I am getting this coming week. 12 Buff Orps and 12 Rhodebars. Orps are being shipped and the Rhodebars I am picking up. Everywhere else I have read to turn eggs the first 18 days. Nowhere did I find any mention about the condition of the air sacs. I have been all over the place looking for information and this thread has been both educational and entertaining. Thank you for your willingness to share. [/COLOR]
It took me three evening of reading, but I finally made it through! First, thank you wisher and everyone for the wealth of information here. I only wish I would have found this thread before I ordered eggs, because I would have made sure to ask questions as to how they would be packed. I decided to attempt hatching some shipped NN for my hubs because he has been asking for them for a long while, and I really really want some barnevelders. I just do not want to spend that much on eggs without trying my luck at a few shipped hatches first. So bring on the NN's. I believe I am getting them this coming week.

These are the eggs I set yesterday. The white ones are 11 Dorkings from BYC er BethBug...expertly packed and beautiful. The More Colorful 12 are a hen's choice lot from ChooksChick also beautifully packed. I also put a dozen eggs from my own and my uncles mixed flocks in so I am really excited to see what everyone looks like. They have been in for nearly 24 hours and the bator has been holding temperature perfectly. Do you see the two green ones? they are from a Mauve chocolate Ameraucana breeding pen... so exciting! Also thrilled about the 2 Chocolate Rocks, the Lavender and Lemon Orps the 3 Part. Chantecler and the 3 that she included from her dual purpose project flock. Both of these sellers sent a ton of extras and were great to deal with. I highly recommend them.

The packing was like wishers a box in a box with lots of packing peanuts/shredded paper surrounding. Bethbug had hers in a foam egg holder and then 5 additionals wrapped in bubble wrap. ChooksChick had the foam egg thing for each of the ones she sent to me.

One thing, Beth Bugs eggs arrived about 24 hours before ChooksChicks so the Dorking eggs sat for a day. The others I unpacked let sit for about 30 min and then popped everything into the bator so we shall see if there is a big difference.

I will keep you posted! Best of luck and "be Strong" prayers for the hatchers and the hatchlings!
There's only one problem I see ............. you need one more egg for that empty spot! LOL! They look great! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom