The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Official start to "The Great Egg Shipping Experiment" part deux.

Yesterday, I set my very first shipped eggs, the Bourbon Red turkey and Cayuga cross duck eggs from Sir Jessshan8 (an officer and a gentleman, not to mention a heck of a carpenter!) I also set 17 local turkey eggs. I think I am more excited about the ducks than anything else!

I am participating in the Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon. If you want to have some fun, join that hatch, it is a hoot!

I am being buried by eggs! The girls have kicked it into overdrive and the counters are filling with eggs. I am setting most of my Marans eggs but have plenty of the others (brown and blue eggs that have been fertilized by either a BCM or EE roo.) If any of you want to hatch any of my eggs let me know. I will take $5 to cover my expenses, plus shipping for them. I prefer to ship around a dozen at a time but can ship more if you want.

There's only one problem I see ............. you need one more egg for that empty spot! LOL! They look great! Good Luck!

lol.png
Shhhhhhhh, It possible I stuck the 36th egg in.

Thanks, Jess! My bator's full but I may take you up on that in a month or so! Have you gotten any more black eggs? That was so cool! I would be tempted to make it my project to raise a black-egg-layer line of ducks. I think there would be a demand for them. I sent my friend a link to the pic you posted, but haven't heard from her. She is not a BYC addict like some of us......

[COLOR=800000]Official start to "The Great Egg Shipping Experiment" part deux. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]Yesterday, I set my very first shipped eggs, the Bourbon Red turkey and Cayuga cross duck eggs from Sir Jessshan8 (an officer and a gentleman, not to mention a heck of a carpenter!) I also set 17 local turkey eggs.  I think I am more excited about the ducks than anything else! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]I am participating in the Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon.  If you want to have some fun, join that hatch, it is a hoot! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=800000]I am being buried by eggs!  The girls have kicked it into overdrive and the counters are filling with eggs.  I am setting most of my Marans eggs but have plenty of the others (brown and blue eggs that have been fertilized by either a BCM or EE roo.)  If any of you want to hatch any of my eggs let me know. I will take $5 to cover my expenses, plus shipping for them.  I prefer to ship around a dozen at a time but can ship more if you want. [/COLOR]

Oh Wisher, I really want Marans! I am nervous setting the shipped eggs that i have coming this week, but if you still have some when these are hatching, i might take you up on this!

I was trying to hunt down local turkey eggs to set for that turkey hatch too... Not that I know what I would do with them after they hatch cuz I just don't really have a place for them, but I had lo luck. I just don't know enough bird people around me...

My mutt babies should start hatching Tues. tomorrow would be day 21, but I am not sure they were set first thing in the morning. I will be taking the camera with to the school to check up on them tomorrow.

Hello from San Angelo Texas. I just set a load of eggs that I ordered from ebay. I've heard horror stories about shipped eggs and a few good ones. Im not new to chickens but new to shipped eggs. Im hoping I'll get the breeds I want. Im using a Styrofoam incubator with turner and forced air fan. what should the humidity be at, Im on day 16& when should i lock it down without turner. thanks in advance for any help or advice given. There large fowl chickens by the way

Oh Wisher, I really want Marans! I am nervous setting the shipped eggs that i have coming this week, but if you still have some when these are hatching, i might take you up on this!

I was trying to hunt down local turkey eggs to set for that turkey hatch too... Not that I know what I would do with them after they hatch cuz I just don't really have a place for them, but I had lo luck. I just don't know enough bird people around me...

My mutt babies should start hatching Tues. tomorrow would be day 21, but I am not sure they were set first thing in the morning. I will be taking the camera with to the school to check up on them tomorrow.

You may want to leave the camera at home chicks take a while to get out it may be hard to resist coming back to help them.

41 eggs set
28 made it to lockdown
6 welsummers hatched
a black copper maran hatched and a
blue copper maran hatched
and 3 more hatched but had to be culled
making for 11total hatched.
upon opening the unhatched eggs I found 7 we're full term and should of hatched and 8 weren'tfull term.

Last edited:
Hello from San Angelo Texas. I just set a load of eggs that I ordered from ebay. I've heard horror stories about shipped eggs and a few good ones. Im not new to chickens but new to shipped eggs. Im hoping I'll get the breeds I want. Im using a Styrofoam incubator with turner and forced air fan. what should the humidity be at, Im on day 16& when should i lock it down without turner. thanks in advance for any help or advice given. There large fowl chickens by the way

Wait until day 18 or 19, take out the turner and set the eggs in cut down egg cartons. If possible set them across the openings.

Raise humidity to 70 percent.

fl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I will defiantly try that. Two more days till lockdown. What's going to kill me is not opening it after i hear some have hatched.

Back
Top Bottom