The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

I need a refresher. My 18th day is coming on Monday, April 29. I know the temperature should remain at 99.5, but what should the humidity be. I thought it is to be raised to 80% but that may be wrong. With all of the success many of you have had I need your expert advise.

Thanks

I need a refresher. My 18th day is coming on Monday, April 29. I know the temperature should remain at 99.5, but what should the humidity be. I thought it is to be raised to 80% but that may be wrong. With all of the success many of you have had I need your expert advise.

Thanks

Shoot for 65 to 70%. If condensation starts to form then the humidity is too high.

Have a great hatch!

Ron

Ron,
I talked to a guy the other day (he uses a cabinet incubator) He said he runs the Humidity 60% to 65% throughout the entire 21 days. Out of 6 dozen eggs he got an 80% hatch, and 2 got stuck. What is your opinion on that?

Dan

Last edited:
Ron,
I talked to a guy the other day (he uses a cabinet incubator) He said he runs the Humidity 60% to 65% throughout the entire 21 days. Out of 6 dozen eggs he got an 80% hatch, and 2 got stuck. What is your opinion on that?

Dan

Cabinet incubators are very different from foam ones.

Since two got stuck, I would suspect either temperatures not being quite right of other stress to the embryo. Shipping eggs and using one of the bad methods here or having a pallet dropped on the box will cause stress that will stick a chick. I have said it before but it bares repeating--stuck chicks is caused by not absorbing the yolk. Humidity can be a cause but is not the most common cause.

With your new Dickey, I would keep it at 40% during incubation and raise the humidity when you move the eggs down to the hatcher part to 65%. After the hatch is over, lower it back to 40% until the next tray hatches.

You have the combo one with two incubator trays and two hatching trays? With that you can hatch all the time with no problems.

Cabinet incubators are very different from foam ones.

Since two got stuck, I would suspect either temperatures not being quite right of other stress to the embryo. Shipping eggs and using one of the bad methods here or having a pallet dropped on the box will cause stress that will stick a chick. I have said it before but it bares repeating--stuck chicks is caused by not absorbing the yolk. Humidity can be a cause but is not the most common cause.

With your new Dickey, I would keep it at 40% during incubation and raise the humidity when you move the eggs down to the hatcher part to 65%. After the hatch is over, lower it back to 40% until the next tray hatches.

You have the combo one with two incubator trays and two hatching trays? With that you can hatch all the time with no problems.
Good Info Ron! I have it running now just playing with things and making sure everything stays stabilized. I am having trouble getting the Humidity lower than 55%.
Yes this thing could be a Hatching machine! It will do way more than I currently have plans for but who knows.

Dan

ok so I want to surprise my auntin Ohio with some eggs I'm assuming it's ok to ship non refrigerated eggs with the bloom still on.these will be for eating

thumbsup.gif
they will be fine!

Originally Posted by juststruttin View Post

Priority boxes are free at the post office. You can also go online to usps.com and order Regional A boxes. They are a top loading small box perfect for shipping 8-10 eggs/ 12 if they are small. The cost to ship in a Reg. A Box is usually $9.88 across the US and $5.65 within CA. Much cheaper than having to pay $11.85 for Med. Priority for small orders.

Unfortunately, they only carry the side loading boxes at the Post Office so you have to order the top loading online. They come in bundles of 25 and are FREE .. oh and they drop em at your door!!! There are other box sizes available on-line too. Check it out. It usually take up to 10 days for delivery, so order well in advance.

The Regional A boxes are 10 X 7 X 4.34 and the

Regional B are 12 X 10.25 X 5

for comparison the Medium Flat rate box is 11 X 8.5 X 5.25 (in the middle between the two Reg. Boxes)

I keep all three boxes on hand and depending on Zip Code ship accordingly. It is usually cheaper to ship using the regional boxes (by weight) than using the Flat Rate Boxes.

I ship my eggs rolled like burritos standing up in the box so the the 4.75" or 5.25" height works very well. I don't use the taller boxes.

Here is the link

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...ailingShippingSupplies:subcatMSS_RegionalRate

You want to order Regional A1 and Regional B1 - they are top lading. The 2's are side loading and don't work for eggs.

Thanks for the refresher. We will take the eggs out of the turner on Monday and increase the humidity. I have read that some put paper tools down to make the clean up of the incubator easier. Has anyone here done that?

Back
Top Bottom