The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

If I line my hatching trays with the rubberized feeling shelf liner should I just lay my eggs on the side once I move them into the trays or ??. Also it was mentioned that I could lightly mist the eggs in the hatching trays twice a day. Good idea? Bad idea? Looking for opinions.

Dan

If I line my hatching trays with the rubberized feeling shelf liner should I just lay my eggs on the side once I move them into the trays or ??. Also it was mentioned that I could lightly mist the eggs in the hatching trays twice a day. Good idea? Bad idea? Looking for opinions.

Dan

I hatch in trays. Even with the rubber they will play soccer with the eggs.

Hi everyone! I have 3 shipments of eggs that are going out tomorrow morning. Here is the new packaging method that I will be using to ship these eggs. I believe that the PO will have to run over these with a 747 in order to damage them. The boxes will be insured and the buyers have agreed to participate in the experiment with me. Here goes!
1* I wrapped my eggs in a length of bubble wrap, leaving room for air circulation on each end of the egg.
2* I purchased a "Sterlite" plastic box that is 11 X 6 at the Dollar General Store for 3.50 and punched holes in the top of the box for air circulation. The box is very sturdy. I took a photo of me standing on the box. I weigh about 130 lbs. I can safely place 11 eggs in the box. I added a layer of peanuts to the bottom and also on top of the eggs but not enough to cause too much pressure. Then I added a paper towel and put the lid on and locked it.
(2)

3* I took a large Priority Mail Box and cut one side of the box in a seam. This is so I can fit the box into another large Priority Mail Box, thus giving me double walled strength. This will give 4 layers of cardboard (4 x's the strength) on both top and bottom of the box.
(3)

3* I then added a 13 gallon, white plastic trash bag to line the box. This will not be closed up and I will explain why I added it later.

4* Then I added lots of crumpled newspaper to the bottom of the box, about 3 to 4 inches deep and I placed the box caddy cornered in the box. On either corner of the box I placed 2, tin cans with extra eggs and I placed a small section of cardboard on top of the can to prevent bombs, tanks and missles from the USPS! The cans have 2 to 3 eggs that are wrapped and snuggled in with some cute little packing peanuts. Awww! These are cute little Blue Silkie eggs! And a few surprise eggs. They are going from NC to CO. Happy trails little ones!
highfive.gif

5* Then I added crumpled newspaper around everything to absorb shock and I added it to the top of the box which is about 3-4 inches deep. If you look closely, you can see the air holes that I punched in the top of the box. There are about 12 holes total on the lid.
Now for the finishing touch! The reason I added the plastic bag. I did not close up the bag. It is for returns in case the package is damaged and the buyer would like to send back the eggs for a full refund.
I added a copy of my guarantee to the top of the package with instructions for the customer to send the box back for a full refund if they are not satisfied with the condition of the arrival of the eggs. If they are damaged, I will file a claim for the amount of the sale of the eggs. From now on all of my packages will be insured.
You are welcome to go to my website on my homepage "hens and friends" to see a copy of my Hatching Egg Guarantee.
If you like it, and would like to use it, feel free to customize it and use it for selling and shipping your packages anytime.
I have 3 boxes of eggs going out tomorrow and I have asked all of the buyers to participate in the experiment with me.
Determination is the Mother of Invention!
Jody

Hi everyone! I have 3 shipments of eggs that are going out tomorrow morning. Here is the new packaging method that I will be using to ship these eggs. I believe that the PO will have to run over these with a 747 in order to damage them. The boxes will be insured and the buyers have agreed to participate in the experiment with me. Here goes! 1* I wrapped my eggs in a length of bubble wrap, leaving room for air circulation on each end of the egg. 2* I purchased a "Sterlite" plastic box that is 11 X 6 at the Dollar General Store for 3.50 and punched holes in the top of the box for air circulation. The box is very sturdy. I took a photo of me standing on the box. I weigh about 130 lbs. I can safely place 11 eggs in the box. I added a layer of peanuts to the bottom and also on top of the eggs but not enough to cause too much pressure. Then I added a paper towel and put the lid on and locked it. (2) 3* I took a large Priority Mail Box and cut one side of the box in a seam. This is so I can fit the box into another large Priority Mail Box, thus giving me double walled strength. This will give 4 layers of cardboard (4 x's the strength) on both top and bottom of the box. (3) 3* I then added a 13 gallon, white plastic trash bag to line the box. This will not be closed up and I will explain why I added it later. 4* Then I added lots of crumpled newspaper to the bottom of the box, about 3 to 4 inches deep and I placed the box caddy cornered in the box. On either corner of the box I placed 2, tin cans with extra eggs and I placed a small section of cardboard on top of the can to prevent bombs, tanks and missles from the USPS! The cans have 2 to 3 eggs that are wrapped and snuggled in with some cute little packing peanuts. Awww! These are cute little Blue Silkie eggs! And a few surprise eggs. They are going from NC to CO. Happy trails little ones! :highfive: 5* Then I added crumpled newspaper around everything to absorb shock and I added it to the top of the box which is about 3-4 inches deep. If you look closely, you can see the air holes that I punched in the top of the box. There are about 12 holes total on the lid. Now for the finishing touch! [COLOR=FF0000]The reason I added the plastic bag. I did not close up the bag. It is for returns in case the package is damaged and the buyer would like to send back the eggs for a full refund.[/COLOR] I added a copy of my guarantee to the top of the package with instructions for the customer to send the box back for a full refund if they are not satisfied with the condition of the arrival of the eggs. If they are damaged, I will file a claim for the amount of the sale of the eggs. From now on all of my packages will be insured. You are welcome to go to my website on my homepage "hens and friends" to see a copy of my Hatching Egg Guarantee. If you like it, and would like to use it, feel free to customize it and use it for selling and shipping your packages anytime. I have 3 boxes of eggs going out tomorrow and I have asked all of the buyers to participate in the experiment with me. Determination is the Mother of Invention! Jody
awesome let us know as soon as they arrive and the quality!

Wow! BunnyMomma! That's awesome! I am very interested in the results of your experiment. I hope you and your customers will post pictures here when the boxes arrive. I, too, wonder about the extra cost of shipping. Would you mind sharing that?

Bob from Our Fly Babies is going to change the packing procedure and send me more eggs!

This is what they were packed like last time. I will post pictures when the new shipment is here!

Hi all, I just wanted to drop by to thank you for putting up this thread (learned so much while lurking!), and to post my own experience.

I just sent out my very first package of eggs, and all of them arrived safe and sound to the buyer (woo!). I wrapped each egg in bubble-wrap, placed them air-cell side up in a box filled with packing peanuts. The eggs were in rows, and seperated from each other (and box walls) by twisted up newspaper. I ended up shipping enough eggs to need to make two levels, which I seperated with newspaper, bubblewrap, and peanuts.

I kind of felt like I was making lasagna there for a bit! I'll update with hatching rate if the buyer is kind enough to let me know how it goes (don't want to bug em).

That's great news! You didn't happen to take any pics of that pack job, did you? How about unpacking pics from your buyer? We would love to see them, if not, just let us know if you find out on the hatch rate. Feel free to send your customer a link to this thread so he/she can participate, too!

Back
Top Bottom