The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

I did get a good report on the eggs that went to FL. The buyer reported that they arrived in perfect condition. Thank goodness! I have been worried that all of my shipments were going to the battle field! So today, one box of replacement eggs (damaged) and one box shipped successfully. 50%

I think that you are spot on with the best way to ship is using Express. I like what you said about "in the long run is it really?"
Good luck!
it will cost up to 40 bucks to ship 4lb eggs overnight coast to coast. I guess it depends on how many and how much you pay.

I have to have eggs but if i was going for mainstream breeds in usa, i would be tempted to buy live chicks to start my flock - that does not include the 100 buck greenfire farms chicks of course

USPS Express mail on the 2 first boxes I had shipped were $21.84 & $18.47 respectively. I am in the central US and Express is not overnight, but it was 2 day guaranteed delivery. The $21.84 box was 24 eggs and weighed 6#

Dan

Hi all. Bunnymomma- here are the pics of the box & eggs after the three day "battlefield" journey to get to Oklahoma.

The paper towel under lid of inside box was completely saturated with yoke. Tells me it was upside-down, sideways ect...

the two eggs in tin can were good, but 1 was broke in the small plastic container

thought 10 made it until I candled. That leaves 9. The air cells were a little loose (?)but not detached. I don't think...

Last edited:

start with egg

wrap in cotton bandage thingy

wrap in bubble wrap

insert into foam cup and put a piece of tape over top

pack tightly in box with newspaper

add to second box add more newspaper

insert rent check and some info on fresh eggs add fragile stickers for s&g because we know it does no good. decide probably shouldn't have done this on Friday the 3rd in this town.weigh package 2lbs 15 oz
deal with post office and keep fingers crossed. it's heading to OH.

Ok! Received my 1st shipment of eggs from FL via USPS Express. 2 day delivery as guaranteed. the box showed evidence of minor crunching but nothing major. The eggs were packaged very Nice! Bubble wrap on Top & Bottom, each egg individually wrapped in bubble wrap, big end up, and then bubble wrap and a shredded paper product filled in around all sides. The shipper had took great pains to package these eggs carefully! The one egg that was cracked I eggtopsied and it was not scrambled and was fertile. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
That makes a total of 50 eggs I received shipped in via USPS Express Mail from 3 different shippers with only 1 egg cracked. Pretty darn good!

The box via FedEx did not fair so well although I really do not believe that all the blame can be put on FedEx as packing was lacking and really left eggs in a loose condition.

Dan

Ok! Received my 1st shipment of eggs from FL via USPS Express. 2 day delivery as guaranteed. the box showed evidence of minor crunching but nothing major. The eggs were packaged very Nice! Bubble wrap on Top & Bottom, each egg individually wrapped in bubble wrap, big end up, and then bubble wrap and a shredded paper product filled in around all sides. The shipper had took great pains to package these eggs carefully! The one egg that was cracked I eggtopsied and it was not scrambled and was fertile. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

its a shame they did not space the eggs more apart

Last year a major Poultry Breeder sent a box of eggs packed in paper and egg cartons. More than half of them were broken. I contacted him and he told me a replacement shipment was on it;s way. No replacement showed up, so I contacted him this year and yesterday the replacement shipment arrived.

It was packed in foam and did much better! 27 were shipped and 4 in one corner were broken:

None of the others were cracked but I did have to wash the bottom of 4 eggs.

I will report back on how they do during incubation!

Back
Top Bottom