The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

express mail for a 2lb box from Al to OH OS 30.47 guaranteed next day delivery insured up to $100 dollars
I am sure the insurance is a good chunk of that, and most people do not insure Priority.

Too me $31 is a bargain! It is like my Grand Dad always said, "You can't go get it for that"

Dan

MeanV2,

What is the real dark eggs from...Maran or Barnvelder or something else? I am looking for very dark layers. I have 13 marans and 14 Welsummers but since they came to us as day old (or older) chicks, I do not know what to expect in their egg color.

MeanV2,

Are the blue eggs, Amerucana or Cream Leg bars? I am looking for blue egg layers as well.

LL

I posted a little over a week ago that I was not very confident about the success of my hatching eggs. It is our first time hatching eggs with an incubator. One order of eggs (Rhodebars) I picked up from the breeder. The other order I won on Rare Breeds Auction and were shipped from Missouri. The Rhodebars sacs were great. The Buff Orpingtons I won, came to us through USPS in not so great of shape. They were packed with foam and not wrapped. The breeder was pretty confident in his new material he was using. We had three broken eggs and one cracked out of 12. When we opened the cracked egg is was all scrambled. The remaining eggs when candled, we found the air sac was detached on everyone of the shipped eggs.

Update - Yesterday was day 21 and in the morning, my husband had not seen any pips on the eggs so we were disheartened and was prepared for 100% failure. When he got home late last evening he found 7 hatched fluffy chicks. At first he thought they were all Rhodebars but when he took them out this morning he realized that two are Buff Ops. (Since Rhodebars are auto-sexing breed - he was able to determine we had 4 hens and 1 roo.) He found an 8th chick (hen) this morning still drying its down. The question I have is how far past the 21 days should we go before we give up trying to hatch the remaining eggs?

I posted a little over a week ago that I was not very confident about the success of my hatching eggs. It is our first time hatching eggs with an incubator. One order of eggs (Rhodebars) I picked up from the breeder. The other order I won on Rare Breeds Auction and were shipped from Missouri. The Rhodebars sacs were great. The Buff Orpingtons I won, came to us through USPS in not so great of shape. They were packed with foam and not wrapped. The breeder was pretty confident in his new material he was using. We had three broken eggs and one cracked out of 12. When we opened the cracked egg is was all scrambled. The remaining eggs when candled, we found the air sac was detached on everyone of the shipped eggs.

Update - Yesterday was day 21 and in the morning, my husband had not seen any pips on the eggs so we were disheartened and was prepared for 100% failure. When he got home late last evening he found 7 hatched fluffy chicks. At first he thought they were all Rhodebars but when he took them out this morning he realized that two are Buff Ops. (Since Rhodebars are auto-sexing breed - he was able to determine we had 4 hens and 1 roo.) He found an 8th chick (hen) this morning still drying its down. The question I have is how far past the 21 days should we go before we give up trying to hatch the remaining eggs?

Most often the hatch is over 24 hours after they start hatching. Wait a day after the last one hatches and then candle the rest, tap the egg and listen for peeps. If you hear peeps either use a push pin to poke a hole in the big end and put it back or just put it back.

I have had some hatch over a three day period before. I don't not like hatches like that.

Thank you for your instructions Ron. Our success is due to you and others that have kindly provided advice on this thread/site. I will have my husband do that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom