The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

SO GUYS...
im needing to ship a half a dozen eggs to 2 bycers here for the first time ever just in time for easter. ive planned my collecting days and shipping days, but I still don't exactly know my plan of shipping. all day ive watched unboxing videos and I think I have a fairly good idea of what I want to do.

get bubble wrap and fold over the ends to make a pocket and tape it.
Place the egg in the pocket.
Fold the sides over so I have a long strip.
roll up the egg till the end of the wrap.
Tape it closed.
Put a good layer of 'cushioning' (layer of bubble wrap, then plastic bags, then news paper and a few peanuts) in the bottom and top of the box.
place the eggs inside, on their side (in the center of everything and then layer the top).
Fill in corners and gaps with bags and newspaper.
Tape it closed.

what is the best way of labeling? and is it necessary?

Ashley, I agree that you should consider the method I used. I gave detailed instructions in the first few pages of this thread. It is very similar to the one you described, only a few key tweaks.

First, use strips of bubble wrap that are about four inches wider than the longest egg. Roll them so that the egg is in the middle and the bubble wrap goes around two full wraps with about two inches sticking out on each end of the egg. This serves as "shock absorbers" while it is bouncing along in the mail. Secure the egg in the middle of the tube by either taping, or tying the tube on either end so the egg can't slip down.

There is a definate improvement in security when you double box, but it increases the size of the package and therefore the price of shipping. Check with the buyer to see if they want to spend the extra money. The smaller box is packed to ship alone, then it is placed into another box, suspended in the center by more packing material.

Then, pack the eggs together in the middle of the box with the large end up. This is the best chance for the air cell to stay in place. The box will not necessarily stay right side up, but it has little chance of staying on it's side for any length of time.

As for labeling, I don't put anything on the outside of the box except the phone number of the recipient and a note to call for pick up (prearranged with the buyer, of course.) I find that the less attention brought to the box, the better.

Good luck! I was exactly where you are when I started this thread. It really helped!

Ashley, I agree that you should consider the method I used. I gave detailed instructions in the first few pages of this thread. It is very similar to the one you described, only a few key tweaks.

First, use strips of bubble wrap that are about four inches wider than the longest egg. Roll them so that the egg is in the middle and the bubble wrap goes around two full wraps with about two inches sticking out on each end of the egg. This serves as "shock absorbers" while it is bouncing along in the mail. Secure the egg in the middle of the tube by either taping, or tying the tube on either end so the egg can't slip down.

There is a definate improvement in security when you double box, but it increases the size of the package and therefore the price of shipping. Check with the buyer to see if they want to spend the extra money. The smaller box is packed to ship alone, then it is placed into another box, suspended in the center by more packing material.

Then, pack the eggs together in the middle of the box with the large end up. This is the best chance for the air cell to stay in place. The box will not necessarily stay right side up, but it has little chance of staying on it's side for any length of time.

As for labeling, I don't put anything on the outside of the box except the phone number of the recipient and a note to call for pick up (prearranged with the buyer, of course.) I find that the less attention brought to the box, the better.

Good luck! I was exactly where you are when I started this thread. It really helped!
thanks for your help! this is awesome! ill try that out for sure ;)
now, I realized some boxes opened on youtube had the "please don't xray" does xraying effect the egg, and should I be worried?

thanks for your help! this is awesome! ill try that out for sure ;)
now, I realized some boxes opened on youtube had the "please don't xray" does xraying effect the egg, and should I be worried?

Personally, If I was in charge of postal security, the first boxes I would open would be the ones with do not xray on them.

unless you are sending them to a senator or potus, you should be fine

Ashley, I agree that you should consider the method I used.  I gave detailed instructions in the first few pages of this thread.  It is very similar to the one you described, only a few key tweaks. 

First, use strips of bubble wrap that are about four inches wider than the longest egg.  Roll them so that the egg is in the middle and the bubble wrap goes around two full wraps with about two inches sticking out on each end of the egg.  This serves as "shock absorbers" while it is bouncing along in the mail.  Secure the egg in the middle of the tube by either taping, or tying the tube on either end so the egg can't slip down. 

There is a definate improvement in security when you double box, but it increases the size of the package and therefore the price of shipping.  Check with the buyer to see if they want to spend the extra money.  The smaller box is packed to ship alone, then it is placed into another box, suspended in the center by more packing material. 

Then, pack the eggs together in the middle of the box with the large end up.  This is the best chance for the air cell to stay in place.  The box will not necessarily stay right side up, but it has little chance of staying on it's side for any length of time. 

As for labeling, I don't put anything on the outside of the box except the phone number of the recipient and a note to call for pick up (prearranged with the buyer, of course.)  I find that the less attention brought to the box, the better.

Good luck!  I was exactly where you are when I started this thread. It really helped!
This is the way I ship mine except I tape 3 to 4 together pointy side down. I have had good luck shipping this way.

Totally enjoyed reading this whole thread
Gonna need it Good job everyone

You read all 2300+ posts?
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom