The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

I have a rather interesting question. Someone has placed a large egg order, and rather than ship them in two #7 boxes, would USPS permit me to nest the boxes together to make one box, like this: I would cut the loose flaps from the middle, and tape the boxes together securely. It would save the customer several dollars in postage. (or would it be better to leave the extra flaps and tape them tight against the box?)
People would rather pay the extra and be more assured of getting viable eggs.

When you ship eggs do you have to be NPIP certified?, does the P.O. have to know your shipping eggs or what's the deal there?

SGF1
The answer to the first question is no you do not have to be NPIP certified. The PO does not care that you ship eggs. Some states will not let you ship eggs to them however, I believe South Carolina is one of them.

I am in SC and have eggs sent here several times with out any issues....
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t39c039.php

I stand corrected the above is a link to SC "egg laws" here is the excerpt:
SECTION 39-39-170. Exemptions.

The following are exempt from this chapter:

(1) persons who buy or sell eggs to be used exclusively for hatching purposes;

(2) shipments of eggs in interstate commerce;

(3) persons who sell eggs at a roadside stand near the farm on which the eggs were produced.

When you ship eggs do you have to be NPIP certified?, does the P.O. have to know your shipping eggs or what's the deal there?

SGF1

in michigan there is two ways to import eggs/chicks/adult birds....one being that the other person be npip certified and sends with the package a vs9-3...or two the importer gets the birds inspected with a clean bill of health each bird with in 90 days of arrival...either way...and ofcourse no bird with the vaccination ILT can be brought into michigan....as you whole flock will be "depopulated" as the import/export guy kris said in michigan...every state has there own rules on what you can and cannot import...however you can do whatever you want...and the likely hood of you getting caught is slim to none...its not like they have someone sitting in the post office seeing what package is what...however you must choose to do the right thing and follow the rules...however most dont..i follow the rules especially when putting money into something i dont need some government guy killing off my birds or taking them all because i didnt fill out some paperwork or have the paperwork sent...so please people for the protection of your birds check into your local import laws....

I have a rather interesting question. Someone has placed a large egg order, and rather than ship them in two #7 boxes, would USPS permit me to nest the boxes together to make one box, like this: I would cut the loose flaps from the middle, and tape the boxes together securely. It would save the customer several dollars in postage. (or would it be better to leave the extra flaps and tape them tight against the box?)
Totally go for it. Dont cut off the flaps. They are wings. U got this

Were on a roll

and the likely hood of you getting caught is slim to none...its not like they have someone sitting in the post office seeing what package is what...however you must choose to do the right thing and follow the rules...however most dont..i follow the rules especially when putting money into something i dont need some government guy killing off my birds or taking them all because i didnt fill out some paperwork or have the paperwork sent...so please people for the protection of your birds check into your local import laws....
Actually, there are some folks that are getting caught. I know of some folks last year involved in an online egg swap group and the USDA sent a group of agents to investigate and go after people - NPIP folks were receiving eggs from non-NPIP folks and parties apparently on both sides got into trouble. From what I was told, one person in group got angry and decided to report everybody.

Back
Top Bottom