The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Quote:
Yes, tracking and insurance are included with ALL priority shipments. You can go to usps.com and under the "Quick Tools" tab choose "Calculate a Price" to see prices and options by selecting "package" and putting in a couple of zipcodes and weight on the next page. It will show you the prices for all the options, including the regular price vs. the online price. For many packages, there is a discount for purchasing the postage online and printing your label.

Where can I find those labels? The hold for pickup and protect from freezing?

i will email him today....and i will let you know when he responds
The "Protect from Freezing" Label is from Uline

Link: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...ling-Labels/Protect-From-Freezing-Label-3-x-5

You can get the same label from another company on Ebay for way less

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HC3504G-500...992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item587fab6cd0

No idea where the other one came from. This one is similar

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLD-FOR-PI...343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c570b6bf

I haven't read 240 pages of comments (!) but I wanted to mention that I have even tried having eggs shipped to me Registered Priority, for the "extra careful handling" and the "scan every time it moves'.

It took 4 days to travel from Texas to Washington. It was scanned at the receiving PO, at the hub in Texas, and then nothing for 3 days. Then all in a rush, Seattle, Kirkland.

9 eggs arrived in a well-marked and well-packed box, every single one with a ruptured air cell. I let them sit 24 hours before putting them in, unturned, for 9 days.

3 began developing. 2 quit within a few days in the turner. 1 is still going.

I could not be more disgusted with the post office. What is the point of an expensive 'carried by hand/not machined or conveyor belt carried' service if the eggs arrive as badly abused as if I'd gone with plain old Priority?

I'm beginning to think I may have to have hatching eggs shipped WITH live chicks, for any egg to arrive in acceptable condition. After all, chicks are treated reasonably gently as far as I know.

I haven't read 240 pages of comments (!) but I wanted to mention that I have even tried having eggs shipped to me Registered Priority, for the "extra careful handling" and the "scan every time it moves'.

It took 4 days to travel from Texas to Washington. It was scanned at the receiving PO, at the hub in Texas, and then nothing for 3 days. Then all in a rush, Seattle, Kirkland.

9 eggs arrived in a well-marked and well-packed box, every single one with a ruptured air cell. I let them sit 24 hours before putting them in, unturned, for 9 days.

3 began developing. 2 quit within a few days in the turner. 1 is still going.

I could not be more disgusted with the post office. What is the point of an expensive 'carried by hand/not machined or conveyor belt carried' service if the eggs arrive as badly abused as if I'd gone with plain old Priority?

I'm beginning to think I may have to have hatching eggs shipped WITH live chicks, for any egg to arrive in acceptable condition. After all, chicks are treated reasonably gently as far as I know.

That's why I get chicks whenever possible, but most private breeders don't ship chicks, and some of those that do are out of my price range.

We got very lucky. This is our first time hatching shipped eggs and they were handled VERY well. They shipped from northern CA to here in CO. We got them in two days and we had to let them sit a little longer like you did, but of the 16 we got, only 3 never started, we've had 1 quitter and we are now on day 14 with the rest. Hopefully we get a good hatch out of them. I'm like you, I originally wanted chicks because I thought the eggs wouldn't do so well but you're right they get pricey. The post office is so hard to rely on now.

I have had a cuckoo Marans egg with a detached air cell hatch. It was seriously detached...it would go to whatever side was up.
It was a day late. I had to assist. And it has always been weired.
Her yolk sack wasnt absorbed. We had to seperate her because of bullying. She was a short bus chicken up until point of lay.
Her tail angle is almost a negative 45 degree angle. She is cross eyed. 1 of her wings stays stretched out.
She lays a nice chocolate brown egg everyday that is delicious. We eat every single 1 she lays. We do not even share her eggs with our family.

Back
Top Bottom