The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

I've had bunches of detached air cells hatch. My post office is rough, but I can seem to pull it off most times. Leaving them sit helps bunches.

I will be getting my first batch of eggs to incubate in a week or 2. Could you please post pics of air cells that are normal, saddle, detached, so I understand what to look for? Also, please clarify, if possible: if detached, don't turn until... Etc. I have an octagon with turner and it seems to do a very gradual turn. Any detail/explanation would be appreciated. Thank you all

I will be getting my first batch of eggs to incubate in a week or 2. Could you please post pics of air cells that are normal, saddle, detached, so I understand what to look for? Also, please clarify, if possible: if detached, don't turn until... Etc. I have an octagon with turner and it seems to do a very gradual turn. Any detail/explanation would be appreciated. Thank you all

This video shows a rolling air cell.

0.jpg

YouTube or on here has much better picture than I have. I just haven't taken the time to do them proper.

When I receive shipped eggs I take pictures of the box, open the lid, more pictures. Take the top layer of packing of and more pictures. I then unwrap everything and set them pointy end down in an egg carton. I set the egg carton at an angle by placing a book under half of it. Not sure if that does anything special, but it is what I do. I leave them next to the incubator for the temp to stabilize and everything to settle. You can candle them before you put them in the egg carton so that you can tell if the air cells are right or not, but I've come to the conclusion that I just do the same for everything and it mostly works out well. There is a while article here on what special things you can do for special air cell problems, but that takes special attention and I don't always have time to fuss with it.
I leave then then set 24 to 48 hours. To me that depends on if I need an extra day to remove eggs from the incubator to put in the hatcher or if they don't feel up to temp, those kinds of things. I then put them in my incubator with the turner and let them go. I also don't candle them every week anymore. I leave then until lockdown where I remove them and move them to another incubator without a turner that I use as a hatcher.

I often forget to turn the eggs while I'm collecting them . I mean on the counter, before going into the bator. I worry about that. Did any of your research address that? I prop the carton they are in up on one end and swap ends when I think about it, but some days I just forget.......
hmm.png
You only need to turn them prior to incubation if you keep them more than a week.

I goose laid her first egg, but I'm not sure if they are fertile. This is the best picture I could get. Any thoughts?

Sorry, Kim, but that doesn't look fertile to me......

At second look, it may be! The blastoderm will form a "bullseye" when it is developing. I was at first looking at the center and expecting a darker area in the middle. I see a larger circle around that center part though, and it may be starting to form a ring. I'd stick one (or more) in the bator! That's the true test.
fertileegg.jpg
--> NOT my Image, borrowed from Google Images

Quote:

You only need to turn them prior to incubation if you keep them more than a week.

Thanks, Oz! You are the "go-to" man, once again. I knew it couldn't be affecting my hatches too much, if any, but it did worry me when I forgot to do it. I won't beat myself up now.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting some duckeggs shipped, to hatch, but I'm not sure if I should, asthe hatch rate is always low? But there as I live in Northern Ireland (UK) there army any hatcheries near by, so I don't know what to do? I don't want to waste my money!

Last edited:
Quote:
I do the same thing. Same # 7 box. I line that box with Styrofoam cut out for all sides, top and bottom. I pack eggs a carton and that is nestled among crumpled up newspaper. I agree, there is more shock protection if there is a little bit of "give".
I just received eggs that were sent in the same box. Eggs were wrapped I bubble wrap tubes. Burried inside shredded paper. The shredded paper was packed so tight. After I retrieved all of the eggs I couldn't even stuff the shredded paper back into the box. I have no idea how they got it packed in there so tight. Turns out all of the eggs have ruptured air sacks. Plus it didn't help that they posted "Live Embryos" and "Hatching Eggs" all over the box. I think ha is asking for trouble. Not expecting a good hatch.

I do the same thing. Same # 7 box. I line that box with Styrofoam cut out for all sides, top and bottom. I pack eggs a carton and that is nestled among crumpled up newspaper. I agree, there is more shock protection if there is a little bit of "give".
I just received eggs that were sent in the same box. Eggs were wrapped I bubble wrap tubes. Burried inside shredded paper. The shredded paper was packed so tight. After I retrieved all of the eggs I couldn't even stuff the shredded paper back into the box. I have no idea how they got it packed in there so tight. Turns out all of the eggs have ruptured air sacks. Plus it didn't help that they posted "Live Embryos" and "Hatching Eggs" all over the box. I think ha is asking for trouble. Not expecting a good hatch.
I always get live embryos and do not freeze put on my boxes....So far i have had good luck without getting any intended violence because "their only chicken eggs" Live embryos and do not freeze, they dont know whats in there.

Back
Top Bottom