The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Just received one of the unhappiest package of eggs ever. Actually, the seller packed the eggs very well: double boxed, each egg individually bubble wrapped, great packing between the boxes. He sent them promptly, Priority Express as requested. He sent extras.

And then he packed every single egg small end up. And did not mark the box 'fragile', 'hatching eggs' or anything other than 'this end up' (which was the wrong end up).

Every single air cell is broken and free-rolling. Sigh. I don't give them much hope.
There is always hope!

I cannot get the egg farmer here to work better with collecting eggs. He brought over 72 eggs, upside down, dirty and some of them 30 days old.

at 14 days, 10 of the are developing. OMG!

Just received one of the unhappiest package of eggs ever. Actually, the seller packed the eggs very well: double boxed, each egg individually bubble wrapped, great packing between the boxes. He sent them promptly, Priority Express as requested. He sent extras.

And then he packed every single egg small end up. And did not mark the box 'fragile', 'hatching eggs' or anything other than 'this end up' (which was the wrong end up).

Every single air cell is broken and free-rolling.  Sigh. I don't give them much hope.

Some people firmly believe that if there are NO "fragile" or "eggs" labels, that the package is handled more gently.

However, getting all of the eggs upside down is a big oops!

With that said..... If you incubate upright, and turn gently, there IS still a good chance that you will have a decent hatch.

Good luck!

Some people firmly believe that if there are NO "fragile" or "eggs" labels, that the package is handled more gently.

However, getting all of the eggs upside down is a big oops!

With that said..... If you incubate upright, and turn gently, there IS still a good chance that you will have a decent hatch.

Good luck!

Fragile and this side up are safe--live embryos brings out some evilness in some people. I would not put eggs or live embryos on the package.

@Chotii keep us posted on the hatch progress!

I am one that firmly believes that the less conspicuous the box, the less "attention" it will get. We all know the process is rough, and we have seen many times that packages that are marked "fragile" (even if not targeted for rough treatment) are often given no special consideration. I think the best chance a box has is to be as plain as possible in order to get no special notice.

I have toyed with the idea of addressing the box with a crayon and in childlike print. Maybe, "To my best friend ________*insert name of buyer" Just a thought....

I heard on the news that bubble wrap is changing. Apparently it will no longer be individual bubbles.

The new bubble wrap will be sealed at the edges. The air will move from bubble to bubble. the big problem would be cutting the strips to make the egg burritos.

Shipping Eggs Experiment #1:

I got 10 shipping eggs from eBay of Chocolate bantam orpingtons.

This will be my 4th batch and 1st attempt at shipping eggs. My others were from my own birds.

I just got them in the mail today. The only thing that was on the box was "fragile-handle with care" "NO x-ray plz!"

I'm trying to contain my excitement! This is the 1st time I've seen a bantam egg. I was told to let them sit in a carton for 24 hours. Just incase the air sacs were detatched, this may help them reattach (which I didn't know what possible). I will put them in tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom