The insufficient (little aggravated rant)

Cassandra

Ranger Rick
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Southwest Mississippi
I have been following the self-sufficiency thread pretty closely looking for ideas to help me take better care of my family all by myself.

Then, I get a call this morning at work... (I'm an apartment manager)... One of my tenants walked outside and saw a raccoon on his front porch this morning and wants me to do something about it.

Ok--number ONE, the coon is probably long gone by the time I get to the office. And number TWO, What do I look like? Ranger Rick?

I know this is not a big deal at all, it just irritates the poop out of me that some people expect me to take care of the most minor inconveniences for them just because my boss owns the apartment they live in. I work my butt off to make sure you have a nice, respectable, quiet and clean neighborhood to live in and you want to complain because some local wildlife finds it attractive, too? Maybe I should hire some bulldozers to come plow dow the nice shady woods behind your home? What's next? Squirrels dropping pine cones on your car?

This is just ridiculous to me and I would have been embarrassed, when I was a tenant, to call the property owner with such an asinine complaint.

What am I going to do? Call animal control. Which I guess the tenant can't be bothered to do himself.

BLARGH

Cassandra

gig.gif
I also found it funny.

Tell the fools you sent the racoon there to catch BUGS. Do they want the bugs or the racoons?

Send a notice to all tenants that the owner is going to purchase a mostly tame coyote which can be chained up at their doorsteps or decks to help deter the racoons.

Don't forget to mention the nominal fee of $50 per hour for use of the coyote and that you are not responsible for poop scooping or any clean up necessary after the coyote has taken care of the racoon.

Last edited:
It was funny and I agree with you.

But you are the GO-TO man. Like a surgeon, you are perceived as a problem solver. You take care of things other cannot, or dont know how to, do. That is your role.

I am a licensed REALTOR. When I was active, it was was the same. People dont need a REALTOR, but they use them to do things they cannot, or do not want, to do.

This is your occupation and one you should do well. SO buck up and handle it, man.

One of the better rants Ive read, though.

It is SO handled, man!
big_smile.png

I called the animal control officer and he's going to go set out a live trap. Believe it or not, this is not the first time this very thing has happened. You would not believe the crazy mess I get called on to do--mainly when I am off duty. This mostly happened when I was lving in the apartments, just before John & I bought our house.

Thanksgiving day, (actually the day we were moving) lady locks herself out of her apartment and I crawl through her window (ripping my best jeans!) to unlock the door for her.

Laying in a muddy ditch on a storming Sunday afternoon with a police officer (because the animal control officer only works mon-fri) pulling newborn puppies out of a culvert. We had to close the mom & pups up in an empty utility room (with food & water, of course) for the night to wait for the animal control officer the next day. She was a hungry stray that had been running around for a while.

One tenant had 10 cats (before I instituted the 2 pets rule) and when she moved out, she couldn't find them all. So for about a week after she left, I was catching them and putting them in pet taxis for a neighbor friend of hers to take to her.

The most exciting one was when a neighbor's hot water heater sprung a HUGE (guyser) leak about 10:30 one weekend night. It took forever to get a groggy plumber on the phone and convince him to come fix it.

My weekends have been a lot quieter since I moved 25 miles away. That almost makes up for the gas money I spend driving to work every day. LOL

Cassandra

Edited to add:
P.S. I really like the coyote idea!!!

Last edited:
Anyone who is scared of racoons is usually terrified of firearms. I believe I would be tempted to show up with a pump shotgun and full camo and ask him where is that varmint. Then tell them you may wanna go hide under your bed I am a terrible shot with this thing. I doubt the tenant would ever call for a silly raccoon again. To bad we can't get away with such things in todays society.

DISCLAIMER: I am only kidding about this.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I totally laughed out loud when I read that.
smile.png

The tenant in question is a pretty great guy as far as tenants go. Pays two weeks early every month (for the past year and a half) and I never get any complaints about him so, Racoon wrangling is a small price to pay, I reckon.

He is a serviceman recently home from Iraq, also. I was really surprised when I commented that we ought to shoot the racoon (we couldn't inside the city, anyway) and he said he didn't have any guns. (I don't know what made me think that all military people were supposed to have guns)

He had NO sense of humor about it, either. Me? I joke about everything. People with no sense of humor worry me and make me laugh at the same time. Cause he was like, "I don't have any guns." (and I could hear the implied "you daft woman.") As if I would SERIOUSLY suggest shooting animals in the city! He was not amused.

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom