The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I have 2 Young Khaki ducklings Thinking ones a boy and ones a girl (one sorta quacks sometimes). Question? Do they go broody? Read they dont compared to other breeds?
Neither of my Khakis have ever shown an inclination to brood. They always defer to my Blue Swedish duck. That does not mean they won't but as I understand it Khakis going broody are as rare as chickens teeth.

Neither of my Khakis have ever shown an inclination to brood. They always defer to my Blue Swedish duck. That does not mean they won't but as I understand it Khakis going broody are as rare as chickens teeth.

Lol! Thanks! Was just trying decide if I wanted to keep them seperate from the rest of my flock for hatching (if I do have a male n female) These will be my first male/female pair of the same breed.

Just got 6 khaki Campbell ducks! I could sit and watch them for hours.

Lol! Thanks! Was just trying decide if I wanted to keep them seperate from the rest of my flock for hatching (if I do have a male n female) These will be my first male/female pair of the same breed.
What else do you have in your flock (males and females)? If he is the only male and there are enough females all should be o.k. but if he is one of several males there will be conflict. He will, during mating season, try to mate with any female, even chickens which can be harmful to the chicken. If he is the only male and you only have one female for him there is a very strong chance he will overbreed with her and injure her. The suggested gender distribution for ducks is one male for every 4-6 females minimum. I have two Cayuga drakes with 14 females and it is a nice balance. There is no competition between the males. I did have one group before that was two drakes with 4 females and the drakes tried to kill each other on a daily basis. So, manage your flock accordingly and good luck.

What else do you have in your flock (males and females)? If he is the only male and there are enough females all should be o.k. but if he is one of several males there will be conflict. He will, during mating season, try to mate with any female, even chickens which can be harmful to the chicken. If he is the only male and you only have one female for him there is a very strong chance he will overbreed with her and injure her. The suggested gender distribution for ducks is one male for every 4-6 females minimum. I have two Cayuga drakes with 14 females and it is a nice balance. There is no competition between the males. I did have one group before that was two drakes with 4 females and the drakes tried to kill each other on a daily basis. So, manage your flock accordingly and good luck.

I have 5 girls and 2 males. But only one mates, the other never has had any interest in the girls. The other one who does have interest doesn't have much lol! My 2 pekin males really prefer to do their own thing, they were my first set of ducks. So I can either I can put those 2 together seperate or the khakis

They are super sweet! You are right I can only tell three of them apart one is a lot smaller than the others and two have white spots on their necks.

I just got these ducks I was told yellow is crested pekin and other three are KC. But is the one with the yellow chest and black beak and feet a KC?

here is the Khaki I recently purchased at the swap meet, I was told definately a male..but I had to have it..I love the color and was planning on getting a pair of buff Orphs...but i fell in love!!!........NOW MY PROBLEM...I have a "bonded" pair of Blue Swedish and of course only one female to my 2 males.....I do plan to get a female (or 2) this summer BUT will the 2 males every be able to get along? Right now I am keeping them seperate, as the Blue Swede trys to kill him anyway he can!! We have a fairly large acreage and I let them free range with the chickens (which I had to isolate him from the hens for a while) so the 2 males are not crowded for space however, the swedish won't let the Khaki near the pond so I now take turns penning them...
Mainly I will have problems housing the ducks at night as I close them in with the chickens and everyone is in the same shed...will this be a problem? right now I have the Khaki seperated at night, but if i get more ducks will they be able to be housed all together..

Back
Top Bottom