The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Funny you say that even though you might take it a bit too far, but you do sleep at night -- i posted that question in this thread around 2:30 a.m. Already losing sleep over it! haha
1f633.png
It does kinda stink that such efforts and investments have to be made to protect your animals from people who don't follow the law and control their dogs. We'll have Nigerian Dwarf goats, by the way, so hello to a fellow mini goat owner
smile.png

Really? That's cool! We have two Nubian Pygmy and they are as adorable as they are spoiled! hahaha Yeah, it's crazy the lengths we go to take of our pets. I, too, hate when people have no consideration of others when it comes to their animals.

I am really getting confused! I need information from somebody that really knows from experience. Forget what "they say" and "they know" and ask somebody that raises ducks! lol

I just bought 4 Khaki Campbell ducks and a drake from a large duck farm. The guy told me they will sit on a nest (go broody) and make wonderful mothers. Then I read several articles that say Khaki's very rarily go broody, and read other articles saying that isn't true. I Checked Myers's hatchery listing Khaki Campbell ducklings.....and the description sais ...... Broody Yes

On a thread on here, I was also told they won't go broody. What have you actually experienced?

Thanks, Tim

I have 4 KCs and none of them shows any interest in sitting on eggs.
I based my choice on their egg laying prowess and articles like the link below reinforced the idea that to breed and grow the flock I would need a broody hen or an incubator:

"Hens very seldom hatch out their own young. In this breed, brooding behavior has been sacrificed in exchange for prolific egg laying ability. Egg incubators or broody chickens are typically used to hatch out ducklings."

http://beautyofbirds.com/khakicampbellducks.html

Last edited:
But then......I keep finding things like this!

Q: How can I get them to lay eggs in nests and sit on them?
A: THEY WILL BY THEMSELVES
The best nest provides protection from rain and sun and gives the female a sense of security. It should have three walls, a roof and a low front to keep the nesting material in the nest box. Fill it with straw, wood shavings or rice hulls. You can put a chicken or fake egg in it to further entice them. You cannot force them to sit on their eggs. The Ancona, Muscovy, Mallard and Khaki Campbell are very good at sitting on their own eggs. For the other breeds, it depends on the individual bird. do not start sitting on the eggs until the nest is full, normally 7-15 eggs.

Which came from here.........

https://boondockers.sharepoint.com/Pages/DuckFacts.aspx

You see why I am confused? lol

How old are your KCs? You can try to entice your girls to go broody by placing fake eggs or rounded rocks into the nest. The birds are not programmed to any length of incubation. If a bird is broody she will sit on the fakes or rocks for weeks or until the rocks are removed. If one does go broody you can replace the fakes with eggs. Good luck.

this is whats been living next door in the old house they have 5 kits to feed. I already lost 2 ducks hens. I have been working hard to keep them fence in . I am a nature person but it is hard when they kill your ducks. I have very unhappy ducks they used to free range now they can.t.has any one ever used that electric poultry fencing? my ducks are locked up at night these killings happen during the day.i am in the process of hot wiring the whole pen but it is taking time I go home thinking who is next.i would hate to have them trapped and killed. thanks.

I am really getting confused! I need information from somebody that really knows from experience. Forget what "they say" and "they know" and ask somebody that raises ducks! lol

I just bought 4 Khaki Campbell ducks and a drake from a large duck farm. The guy told me they will sit on a nest (go broody) and make wonderful mothers. Then I read several articles that say Khaki's very rarily go broody, and read other articles saying that isn't true. I Checked Myers's hatchery listing Khaki Campbell ducklings.....and the description sais ...... Broody Yes

On a thread on here, I was also told they won't go broody. What have you actually experienced?

Thanks, Tim
Had this girl go broody twice last year. Her daughter is following in her footsteps this year:

Is it easy to tell the females apart?I'll be naming my 6 khaki ducklings when they get their adult feathers so I'm worried it won't be easy to notice the little differences in their feathers...now that I type this it seems kind of trivial , but I'm genuinely worried XD
Female on left. Male on right.

Back
Top Bottom