The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

OK, Since we were just talking about this.....THIS IS JUST FREEKIN' FREEKY!​

Each morning I take my morning coffee for a walk to the coop. I just got the ducks about a week ago and we have established this new routine. Each morning, I open the door to the run from the coop. There is a 30'X30' covered run behind the coop. The ducks file out, single file into the run. There is water inside the coop, but they seem to prefer to get a drink from the "kiddy pool" that is out in the run.

The chickens seem to want to stay in the coop until a little later in the day. I then collect the duck eggs. As the guy I bought the ducks from told me, they mostly lay at night, and where ever they are standing when the urge hits is where you will find the eggs. Each morning I have found 2 or 3 duck eggs randomly scattered on the floor of the coop. This morning was different. Neatly piled in the corner were 4 duck eggs. OMG I thought.....maybe somebody is starting a clutch and when enough eggs are there, she will sit and stay. I set a board up beside the eggs to give a little more privacy, then I went in the house to grab my phone and take a picture of the eggs in the corner. When I came back out..........there was a GOLDEN BUFF hen sitting on the eggs. I figured it was just a fluke she chose to sit there. She is a GOLDEN BUFF after all and they NEVER, NEVER NEVER become broody! In 5 years of raising them, I haven't seen it yet. I sorta "shooed" her off the eggs so I could get a picture of them.

As I took this picture, she immediately walked around behind me and came back and sat back down on the eggs.

So........now we wait and see..... I am just wondering how the ducks will react when they see her sitting on their eggs. Anybody have any idea what I should expect?

Brookhaven that is a handsome couple you have. I have two KC drakes but they are a lot lighter. they seem to be getting lighter with age they are just a year old.

That is harder to answer. I only have the two Khaki females and they are pretty close to identical. One is a little lighter than the other. However, they both have their own personallities and I can tell them apart that way.
I figured personalities would be easy with a few , but I'm getting 6 girls , so I hope a couple have unique feather patterns and personalities
roll.png

Brookhaven that is a handsome couple you have. I have two KC drakes but they are a lot lighter. they seem to be getting lighter with age they are just a year old.
Thanks. I do notice that they get lighter in color with the amount of time they spend in the sun. After their molt they have vibrant colors and as the year goes on they lighten up.

OK, Since we were just talking about this.....THIS IS JUST FREEKIN' FREEKY!​

Each morning I take my morning coffee for a walk to the coop. I just got the ducks about a week ago and we have established this new routine. Each morning, I open the door to the run from the coop. There is a 30'X30' covered run behind the coop. The ducks file out, single file into the run. There is water inside the coop, but they seem to prefer to get a drink from the "kiddy pool" that is out in the run.

The chickens seem to want to stay in the coop until a little later in the day. I then collect the duck eggs. As the guy I bought the ducks from told me, they mostly lay at night, and where ever they are standing when the urge hits is where you will find the eggs. Each morning I have found 2 or 3 duck eggs randomly scattered on the floor of the coop. This morning was different. Neatly piled in the corner were 4 duck eggs. OMG I thought.....maybe somebody is starting a clutch and when enough eggs are there, she will sit and stay. I set a board up beside the eggs to give a little more privacy, then I went in the house to grab my phone and take a picture of the eggs in the corner. When I came back out..........there was a GOLDEN BUFF hen sitting on the eggs. I figured it was just a fluke she chose to sit there. She is a GOLDEN BUFF after all and they NEVER, NEVER NEVER become broody! In 5 years of raising them, I haven't seen it yet. I sorta "shooed" her off the eggs so I could get a picture of them.

As I took this picture, she immediately walked around behind me and came back and sat back down on the eggs.

So........now we wait and see..... I am just wondering how the ducks will react when they see her sitting on their eggs. Anybody have any idea what I should expect?
Mine all lay first thing in the morning. Never at night...LOL.

Back
Top Bottom