The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

How many ducklings? What size was their pen? The way these guys go I simply can't imagine anything would help but close to home shavings are cheap and if I want to drive 30 miles they're fee and they even let you use their shovel. "fertilized" shavings are going out around the fruit trees.

I only had four in a kiddie pool, so not too many, but I only had to clean it once a day with four.

I didn't even know they were exotic!   The only ducks they had and I was told they're good layers and foragers which is about what I was after.

The bedding is sawdust.  What I had on hand since I use it in a "sawdust toilet" in the outhouse here.  It gets really wet and matted down (not my outhouse, but under the ducks.... I don't pee in the outhouse).  They simply love their water and enjoy running laps around the waterer with one foot in and one foot out.

Today I went to a local wood shop down the road and got some coarser shavings,, I may try some coarser still shavings next.    If I had access to sand I'd definitely give it a whirl since it would likely take the wet better.   6 ducks seem to make much more of a mess (and smell... honestly I don't know where the term "S**T like a goose" came from....ducks can really hold their own there!) than 9 chickens in the tub next to them so whatever you use for bedding you should plan on EVERY DAY changing and mind their water. 

I will definitely update here as they grow and eventually start free roaming. 

Well , they are more exotic than what I've seen in all MY feed stores , as most are Pekins .
It looked very fine in the picture , I was interested because sand didn't seem to be the best bedding material , maybe for chickens , but not messy baby ducks!Aw , we all complain about them , I'm certain I will grumble a bit too , but seeing them swim and holding them seems to be reward enough for me :love

Last edited:
Well , they are more exotic than what I've seen in all MY feed stores , as most are Pekins .
It looked very fine in the picture , I was interested because sand didn't seem to be the best bedding material , maybe for chickens , but not messy baby ducks!Aw , we all complain about them , I'm certain I will grumble a bit too , but seeing them swim and holding them seems to be reward enough for me
love.gif

Doing some research the CK is a very productive layer and not a big bird so I can't imagine why a big store would NOT offer them for a laying breed. The downside (for me) is that I plan to eat any drakes beyond one out of the lot and they seem a bit skimpy in that department.

Mine aren't so keen on being held, and supposedly other breeds are a bit more social. They seem to really like each other (they're always touching one another no matter where they are in the tub), but they do not like me. I wish it were warmer outside so I could get a tub of water for them to do some swimming I know they would love it.

They are terribly cute so it's easy to forgive the mess..... Let's see if I feel the same way 3 weeks from now.

Doing some research the CK is a very productive layer and not a big bird so I can't imagine why a big store would NOT offer them for a laying breed.  The downside (for me) is that I plan to eat any drakes beyond one out of the lot and they seem a bit skimpy in that department.

Mine aren't so keen on being held, and supposedly other breeds are  a bit more social.  They seem to really like each other (they're always touching one another no matter where they are in the tub), but they do not like me.  I wish it were warmer outside so I could get a tub of water for them to do some swimming I know they would love it.

They are terribly cute so it's easy to forgive the mess.....   Let's see if I feel the same way 3 weeks from now.

Our first 4 that we hatched out a few weeks ago were also very skiddish for a while, but we lured them to eat banana mush off our fingers. At first they just ran around terrified of our big scary hands, but the second time we tried one of them got a taste then they were all in on it. From that time on they'd pretty much eat anything from our hands; finely chopped dandelion and kale leaves are what we've had on hand the most. I hear they LOVE peas though! As of yesterday the babies will nuzzle my hand and wrist while I lightly massage their necks and chests with my fingers :love

Last edited:
Doing some research the CK is a very productive layer and not a big bird so I can't imagine why a big store would NOT offer them for a laying breed.  The downside (for me) is that I plan to eat any drakes beyond one out of the lot and they seem a bit skimpy in that department.

Mine aren't so keen on being held, and supposedly other breeds are  a bit more social.  They seem to really like each other (they're always touching one another no matter where they are in the tub), but they do not like me.  I wish it were warmer outside so I could get a tub of water for them to do some swimming I know they would love it.

They are terribly cute so it's easy to forgive the mess.....   Let's see if I feel the same way 3 weeks from now.

Oh yes , they are one of the best laying breeds , that's why I'm getting 6 girls , no butchering's ever gonna go down here!I just see all these people say , I got khaki Campbell/swedish ducklings from Tractor Supply , and all I've ever seen there is pekins , they start to get rare in my mind ;)
I'm actually worried about them OVERheating on the enclosed back porch because Florida it seems starts summer in April ... they'll be spending as much time as I can spare in the pool and outside , because I don't want them sitting around panting from the heat with nothing to do.
Let's see if we say that for all the weeks of the rest of their lives!Even though we got the big size kiddie pool (5ft round 12in deep) I can imagine with 6 adults ducks I'll be cleaning it every day :rolleyes:

Our first 4 that we hatched out a few weeks ago were also very skiddish for a while, but we lured them to eat banana mush off our fingers. At first they just ran around terrified of our big scary hands, but the second time we tried one of them got a taste then they were all in on it. From that time on they'd pretty much eat anything from our hands; finely chopped dandelion and kale leaves are what we've had on hand the most. I hear they LOVE peas though! As of yesterday the babies will nuzzle my hand and wrist while I lightly massage their necks and chests with my fingers :love

I hope mine won't be that skittish , but I suppose it depends on the birds .
Aww , if they are afraid of me I'll have to try that , as it seems to have made your babies so friendly :D

Oh yes , they are one of the best laying breeds , that's why I'm getting 6 girls , no butchering's ever gonna go down here!I just see all these people say , I got khaki Campbell/swedish ducklings from Tractor Supply , and all I've ever seen there is pekins , they start to get rare in my mind
wink.png

I'm actually worried about them OVERheating on the enclosed back porch because Florida it seems starts summer in April ... they'll be spending as much time as I can spare in the pool and outside , because I don't want them sitting around panting from the heat with nothing to do.
Let's see if we say that for all the weeks of the rest of their lives!Even though we got the big size kiddie pool (5ft round 12in deep) I can imagine with 6 adults ducks I'll be cleaning it every day
roll.png
With six adult ducks you may be cleaning the pool more than that. I have 16 Cayugas that can turn a clean kiddie pool to mud in 30 seconds. My Khaki Campbells (3 of them) usually take about an hour to really muck it up. But, they make up for the mess with egg laying and cuteness.

I have 8 ducks 2 are KC drakes and I got them a

pool about 18in. high and 8 ft. across it last maybe a week. I get annoyed on sat. when I drain it and have to ware rubber boots so I can turn it over I get covered in mud but when it is filled and they are in it playing I sit there and laugh it was worth it.bottoms up.

Back
Top Bottom