The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I now have khaki ducklings that are three weeks old. Was supposed to be a dozen but I got thirteen because one was so tiny she was overlooked when the breeder went to count them the first time. When I got them home and into the brooder it was obvious that she'd have to be separated because she was getting trampled on. I put her in a separate brooder with three of the other smaller ones but they were twice her size. She had a rough couple of nights at first. I thought she was going to die. This past Thursday my order of cayugas and Indian runners arrived from the hatchery. I ended up putting the tiny Kc in with them and she is doing so much better now. Funny tho that she's two and a half weeks older but just as tiny as them.
[/IMG]

I now have khaki ducklings that are three weeks old. Was supposed to be a dozen but I got thirteen because one was so tiny she was overlooked when the breeder went to count them the first time. When I got them home and into the brooder it was obvious that she'd have to be separated because she was getting trampled on. I put her in a separate brooder with three of the other smaller ones but they were twice her size. She had a rough couple of nights at first. I thought she was going to die. This past Thursday my order of cayugas and Indian runners arrived from the hatchery. I ended up putting the tiny Kc in with them and she is doing so much better now. Funny tho that she's two and a half weeks older but just as tiny as them.
[/IMG]

Awww , I just got my ducklings today , and I have trouble leaving them to come inside!But the fact that our back porch(enclosed)gets to like 90 on tame days...that's a motivator!They are fine without using a heat lamp during the day , that's how hot it is ...I'm worried about how hot it is , with the wet from their waterer , plus the absurd amount of poop the little fluffbutts produce...but I'm going to clean the brooder every other day

But I do love them , and when I say 'quack quack' they respond with a chorus of little peeps :love
I do hope your little one will do well , poor thing.

Last edited:
Awww , I just got my ducklings today , and I have trouble leaving them to come inside!But the fact that our back porch(enclosed)gets to like 90 on tame days...that's a motivator!They are fine without using a heat lamp during the day , that's how hot it is ...I'm worried about how hot it is , with the wet from their waterer , plus the absurd amount of poop the little fluffbutts produce...but I'm going to clean the brooder every other day

But I do love them , and when I say 'quack quack' they respond with a chorus of little peeps
love.gif

LOL @ cleaning every other day. Good luck with that, they'll get pretty pungent quickly. You're awful lucky to have a warm outside for yours. Week 1 and 2 my place was like a sweat lodge to accommodate mine.

I was ready to leave all my young'uns out tonight but we're expecting 37 degrees.

But I do love them , and when I say 'quack quack' they respond with a chorus of little peeps :love

You definitely need to clean a ducklings brooder more than every other day. They are extremely messy. Mine often have to be cleaned twice a day. They love to splash and make messes, and the smell....ick lol.
Hope you enjoy your duckies tho. I have noticed my lil KC still isn't growing. She's now smaller than her little friends...

Last edited:
You definitely need to clean a ducklings brooder more than every other day. They are extremely messy. Mine often have to be cleaned twice a day. They love to splash and make messes, and the smell....ick lol.
Hope you enjoy your duckies tho. I have noticed my lil KC still isn't growing. She's now smaller than her little friends...
ours are outdoors, and we still change out the water and hose out their mess sometimes 3x per day

ours are outdoors, and we still change out the water and hose out their mess sometimes 3x per day

Do you have a concrete floor in your coop? I would love to be able to hose ours out daily! We are using an already existing coop for the first time on a property we just bought and after putting our ducklings out there we got a ridiculous amount of rain for several days and found the roof of the coop is leaking. There are still dry spots inside but it's driving me nuts that we haven't had the chance to fix that yet - what a soppy mess. Smells like a pig sty :sick

Last edited:
Do you have a concrete floor in your coop? I would love to be able to hose ours out daily! We are using an already existing coop for the first time on a property we just bought and after putting our ducklings out there we got a ridiculous amount of rain for several days and found the roof of the coop is leaking. There are still dry spots inside but it's driving me nuts that we haven't had the chance to fix that yet - what a soppy mess. Smells like a pig sty :sick

Ours is actually a 4x6 broody coop, 1/2 screen bottom 1/2 covered with feed bag. They have their own little pool, sunshine, and can probably stay here for about 3 more weeks. By then I'll have a movable tractor built, and they will start moving closer to the big pond
1f601.png

Ours is actually a 4x6 broody coop, 1/2 screen bottom 1/2 covered with feed bag. They have their own little pool, sunshine, and can probably stay here for about 3 more weeks. By then I'll have a movable tractor built, and they will start moving closer to the big pond
1f601.png

"Big pond" - lucky ducks!! We dream of digging one of those someday

Collected 7 eggs a day from 4/11 through 4/17, less a couple that were cracked by the chickens before I found them... 41 went I nto the incubator on the evening of the 17th.

First pips showed on May 10th. Today, May 13th... DUCKLING!

Back
Top Bottom