The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

[/IMG]

Can anyone help me with telling me if this is a male or female? Mabel/Steve is 20 weeks old and I can't tell what he or she is??? Please and thank you!

I have 2 drakes ( :( )and they sound like frogs

You have a female dark khaki campbell. Mine is 20 weeks old today. She looks a bit smaller than yours. Pepper looks very dark here but it is only because of the shade. This was taken June 17th. So she was 16 weeks.

Last edited:
Is the whole quack thing to determine gender not always reliable then? I have what is potentially a dark female that looks a lot like yours but sounds more like a male. But he/she is 2.5 months old (10ish weeks) and has no signs of developing male markings.

Is the whole quack thing to determine gender not always reliable then? I have what is potentially a dark female that looks a lot like yours but sounds more like a male. But he/she is 2.5 months old (10ish weeks) and has no signs of developing male markings.

Before they were 12 weeks I thought both my ducks were boys. When neither developed a drake feather, that is how I knew ducks. This was my first time duck mom experience and I just had to wait until they got old enough that if they were males they would have the drake feather. At 10 weeks, a lot of drakes show signs of a drake feather. I am not completely sure about the khaki campbell breed in particular. I've been told the pekin is usually around 9 weeks. My cousin has a pekin drake and both my ducks sound WAY different than hers.

Is this what your duck/ducks sound like?

Last edited:
Oh yippee, maybe there's a chance I have a good hen-to-drake ratio after all! I already had to get rid of one drake because the other it hatched with started being a serious jerk to him once they got their drake feathers and the dominant one wanted both females to himself. This one I am not sure about yet was hatched later with one other female, Would love it if I didn't have to worry anout the possibility of needing to get rid of another male. And another egg-layer sure would be nice.

And yes that's what my duck sounds like!!

Yay! Another duckie! Both mine are ducks and make pretty much the same noise. There is a slight difference but I think it is just because of the breed. I was so happy when I finally was able to determine duck or drake. My ducks seem smaller than other ducks. I feed them good and they are spoiled rotten. They have a yard full of bugs and such. Hope that doesn't alter their egg laying ablilites. My pekin Ollie is getting her "hormonal freckles"
big_smile.png

Wahooo I'm happy :D

Your ducks look nice and healthy to me! I don't think Khakis get real big anyway. I'm guessing your Pekin will continue to grow though. They get hormonal freckles?? Haha cute

Wahooo I'm happy
big_smile.png

Your ducks look nice and healthy to me! I don't think Khakis get real big anyway. I'm guessing your Pekin will continue to grow though. They get hormonal freckles?? Haha cute

Haha I know strange right? Well, I noticed them and looked it up and apparently when they reach sexual maturity, they get freckles. I keep looking for eggs from them both but still can't find any!

Wahooo I'm happy
big_smile.png

Unless they're mine! My Khakis probably weigh around 6-7 pounds, they are close to being the same size as my Buff Duck.....I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my ducks.
ep.gif
The Mallards probably weigh around 4-5 pounds, (surprisingly, they can still fly a little) which isn't normal at all, and my 6 week old Cayugas are as big as the Khakis. This is all with the exception of my Blue Runner, who is still skinny, thank goodness. Everything I have is much larger than it's supposed to be!
roll.png

-Alexandra33

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom