The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Sheesh, I hope they start soon! I'm wondering if I should get some hay and bundle it up and put a golf ball in it so they will begin laying there instead of somewhere in the yard.

I did that with my chickens that started laying last week. I setup their nest boxes and put a couple ceramic eggs in them.

I haven't found any eggs in the yard or anything, and have consistently found an egg a day in the nest boxes. One day I found 2 eggs, meaning another of my hens is starting to lay (I have 7)

Makes me excited! I'm sure you already know how many eggs Khaki's are known to lay in a year. You'll be having a BUNCH of eggs.

Don't know if you can tell by the pic but my drake is a hoss, probably 7ish pounds. His
gals are average though, and one of them is quite petite, probably similar to Lynss94's Pepper :)

They are beautiful! I wish one of my 2 KC would of been female.

So I know this kind of belongs in the medical/emergencies page (I've already posted there and not gotten much help), but I was hoping since you are all duck people you might be more help. There was a scuffle in my run yesterday, that resulted in the death of one chicken, and the injury of a chicken and a duck. I'm heartbroken but I'm trying to make sure that my two injured babies get healthy. The chicken I think is fine and she'll heal just fine on her own. However my poor duck got a cut somewhere on his wing, I couldn't safely get the feathers apart well enough to get a good look, but it's definitely not bleeding anymore, however he is having a rough time keeping the wing up where it should be. Is there anything I could do to help him keep it up til it heals and he can keep it up on his own? Thanks guys!

They are beautiful! I wish one of my 2 KC would of been female.

Thank you! I incubated them in a food dehydrator :p which died in the last few days of incubation so I hatched them with a heat lamp - they made it! Whew.

So far our drake doesn't harass the girl too much but we are watching closely for signs of that. He is just now starting to mate, though, and he DOES have a favorite lady, so hopefully she won't get "picked on" too much.

**don't know why your quoted text didn't show, lynss94

Last edited:
So I know this kind of belongs in the medical/emergencies page (I've already posted there and not gotten much help), but I was hoping since you are all duck people you might be more help. There was a scuffle in my run yesterday, that resulted in the death of one chicken, and the injury of a chicken and a duck.  I'm heartbroken but I'm trying to make sure that my two injured babies get healthy.  The chicken I think is fine and she'll heal just fine on her own.  However my poor duck got a cut somewhere on his wing, I couldn't safely get the feathers apart well enough to get a good look, but it's definitely not bleeding anymore, however he is having a rough time keeping the wing up where it should be. Is there anything I could do to help him keep it up til it heals and he can keep it up on his own?  Thanks guys!

So sorry that happened :( if you don't get much help on this string I really suggest messaging this gal

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/34179/lacrystol

She could probably help at least some - she has a lot of knowledge on how to handle injuries and the like!

P.S. If she helps you significantly and you want to especially thank her, ask her about her contributions page. She spends a lot of time & energy helping others out. Even gets up in the middle of the night to meet people on here to help w/ assisted hatches. :)

Back
Top Bottom