The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I had to give a drake away because my two were not getting along with 4 females to share. But I have heard of other people not having issues with more than one drake, so perhaps you could get lucky. As for the butchering, the cleanest and kindest (at least from my perspective?) way that I have seen so far is to hold the duck and calm it - petting, walking with it, talking softly; whatever it takes - and then once the duck is calm and not at all distressed, quickly grab the neck and spin the duck (holding the duck with just the one hand on the neck, as if you're using the neck to spin the body) giving the neck a swift jerk, which severs the spinal cord and is quick and painless. Maybe I can find a video of what I'm talking about if it sounds confusing...

As mentioned previously: If you know that slaughtering is a likely end, DO NOT give the animal a name. It hurts a lot worse. I have had to kill our animals due to injury or unfitness as breeding stock, after getting on a name basis with them, I REALLY don't enjoy crying over the poor things (and I do cry, dammit!) Regardless that I'm a country raised guy, hunt deer and varmints and do kill my own food on a fairly regular basis-

We have slaughtered chickens, turkeys & a duck. The method we have mostly used is to cut the major veins/arteries in the neck with a very sharp scalpel bladed knife, then push the point of the knife into the base of the brain through the mouth. It still often takes 15-30 seconds for the animal to bleed out and die- We use a cone, but it is not pleasant to watch them go down.

I do not enjoy killing my birds, and would much rather have them unconscious before killing. See this PDF for some related information.

http://animalwelfareapproved.org/wp...hter-stunning-is-important-for-poultry-v3.pdf

As we already have welding gasses on site, I am quite interested in the gas induced stunning method referenced here.

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, I have 3 wonderful Khaki Campbells - quite young but apparently will start laying soon - and I am a bit worried today because they are out in the rain and look really wet. I've left their little house open and it's full of straw and clean, dry bedding but they seem to want to stay out in the wet. I've not provided any extra shelter for them as it doesn't usually rain this hard in August. Should I try to usher them into their house or trust that if they are outside and playing in the rain they are probably fine and will self-regulate and go into their house if they need to?

Any advice gratefully received,
Fx

ETA: after taking these photos I've opened their gate to give them free range of the garden so they can seek shelter under a tree if they want but to be honest, they mostly seem excited about digging up and eating all the slugs and snails!

Our khakis are fun they run with a crested pekin that's about 2 months younger but has caught up to them in size. Not sure of that ones gender but most of the other ducks if they're going to start should start laying the end of this month.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, I have 3 wonderful Khaki Campbells - quite young but apparently will start laying soon - and I am a bit worried today because they are out in the rain and look really wet. I've left their little house open and it's full of straw and clean, dry bedding but they seem to want to stay out in the wet. I've not provided any extra shelter for them as it doesn't usually rain this hard in August. Should I try to usher them into their house or trust that if they are outside and playing in the rain they are probably fine and will self-regulate and go into their house if they need to? Any advice gratefully received, Fx ETA: after taking these photos I've opened their gate to give them free range of the garden so they can seek shelter under a tree if they want but to be honest, they mostly seem excited about digging up and eating all the slugs and snails!
our ducks love being out in the rain or playing in the sprinkler.

@feasel , hi!

If it's a fairly warm rain, I would let them play for a while. If it's going to get chilly at night, I might try to get them in a little early so they can dry off before the temperature drops so they won't get chilled.

Do they have a swim pan? I have a few ducks who don't keep their feathers in tip-top condition, some that do. Swimming in a kiddie pool can help, making sure they have a balanced diet helps.

Back
Top Bottom