The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Our ducks are good about laying them in the nesting box or coop 95% of the time. The other 5% are laid in the pool.

What is your nest set up? I hope to have a duck house twice the size as now, enough room for duck bed, food, water, and I was thinking of one of those nest boxes made from a framed bottom. What size too? I really suspect that ducks need one not too small or large or with shallow/deep sides. I put mine in their pen about dark then put them into their house and lock it when I go to bed. The have a 4W night light (LED) that I have been turning off around midnight. I turn it back on about 6 when I let them out of their house and at 7 they go to the yard. All water including the tub is changed out about every 4th day or so. Because they are playing with flying around, they go into a 6' all grass small back yard when I leave the house. Trying to spoil them so that they will spoil my husband (he thinks he will eat all the eggs two ducks produce)

We lock ours up at night and they free roam during the day. So far they have already laid their eggs in the coop or run before we let them out around 7am.

Mine used to lay by 7 but now it is 7:30. With 14 hours of darkness here in the winter I like to let them out for as long as possible during the longer days.

What is your nest set up? I hope to have a duck house twice the size as now, enough room for duck bed, food, water, and I was thinking of one of those nest boxes made from a framed bottom. What size too? I really suspect that ducks need one not too small or large or with shallow/deep sides. I put mine in their pen about dark then put them into their house and lock it when I go to bed. The have a 4W night light (LED) that I have been turning off around midnight. I turn it back on about 6 when I let them out of their house and at 7 they go to the yard. All water including the tub is changed out about every 4th day or so. Because they are playing with flying around, they go into a 6' all grass small back yard when I leave the house. Trying to spoil them so that they will spoil my husband (he thinks he will eat all the eggs two ducks produce)

Ducks don't really need nest boxes like chickens, they will lay anywhere in the coop. I once had nest boxes but they will hollow an area of their own in the bedding and use it for a while then use another area. I don't provide artificial light for my ducks. Yes, it will make them lay during the shorter days but it also can stress them and shorten their lifespan. They do need the rest during long night time hours.

Right now I have one of these. We only have 3 hens so usually works.

Mine used to go into the coop at night, but then I got a new drake and he put a stop to that. They still go into the run to eat and make sure the chickens don't have any treats that should be theirs, but only during the day. And they lay their eggs in brush piles. Right now I have 5 hens that should be laying and only know of two nests. So I know that somewhere out there I either have huge nests or happy egg eating critters. I keep trying to make areas that look appealing to lay their eggs in, but they scoff at the mere idea.

Back
Top Bottom