The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Got my first Khaki Campbell ducklings a few weeks ago! They're now 4 weeks old and growing like weeds!

Just wondering at what age do you usually start to see the difference between male and females? I'm not fussed if they're ducks or drakes, they're just pets, eggs would be a bonus, but I think the Khaki Campbell drakes are pretty
tongue.png
So either way I'll be happy!

Mine used to go into the coop at night, but then I got a new drake and he put a stop to that. They still go into the run to eat and make sure the chickens don't have any treats that should be theirs, but only during the day. And they lay their eggs in brush piles. Right now I have 5 hens that should be laying and only know of two nests. So I know that somewhere out there I either have huge nests or happy egg eating critters. I keep trying to make areas that look appealing to lay their eggs in, but they scoff at the mere idea.

I have to lock mine in their house or the nighttime wildlife might kill them. My friend has been loosing large adult geese. Whatever it is just eats their breasts. My door is kinda makeshift so I can't wait to get a real duck house. I loose too much sleep with the window open and listening for any suspicious noise.

I have to lock mine in their house or the nighttime wildlife might kill them. My friend has been loosing large adult geese. Whatever it is just eats their breasts. My door is kinda makeshift so I can't wait to get a real duck house. I loose too much sleep with the window open and listening for any suspicious noise.
As of yet, I haven't had a problem with any night time predators (2 years). I did have issues with hawks, but I haven't even had any issues with them since I moved the coop to the woods. The coop with run is in the goat pen, and the door on the run closes every night and keeps all the chickens safe (and the mother duck hen and ducklings). But the ducks don't like spending the night in the run, they just hang out in the grass around the house at night. I would still prefer they stay in the run at night, but . . .

As for their eggs. I cut most of the legs off of an unused rabbit hutch and put it next to their pool/pond and four of the five have decided it is "the place" to lay. Eventually, I will figure out where the other one is laying.

Anyone have some kc eggs to ship for hatching acquired few males today and would like get some females so ready to use incubator

I have fertile eggs but not enough at one time to get a good number to you before some start declining in hatch-ability. Maybe next Spring, though. Where are you located?

New pictures of the "kids". Mikey has decided that he will defend his girls - when the suspect is walking away. He floats in the tub and watches the girls forage. I'm not sure if he is being a guardian over them or hoping that they will return for a little hanky-panky. In his narrow little duck brain he has decided that hanky-panky is only to be preformed in the tub and only if invited. Other than that, I don't think there will be any fertile eggs here - if you know what I mean.

Betsy-Mikey-Sarah. Notice how much smaller Sarah seems. Mikey is the largest, Betsy not much smaller, then petite Sarah with her proper Khaki colored feet and streamlined head. Nothing wrong with Betsy's wing, she just hadn't fluffed her feathers over. Figures that a cute picture has something amiss.

New sig photo, Betsy in the lead which is her place. Sarah following, probably strayed to bill something and got behind. Mikey running his bill and usual. Boy he is loud.

Back
Top Bottom