The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Do you have a list of food they can't eat? I was just thinking that it would make it easier to just dump the scraps instead of having to sort them. Got enough chores to do already.

Do you have any pictures? Does the cross slow down the egg production being the Pekin doesn't lay as many eggs as the KC?

I agree, NO potato peels for sure! If they turn green from light they are poisonous! I do not give peelings at all. I give whole bananas, have to pick up the skin afterwards. No body eats that. Whole cukes, anything from my garden, that is split, soft etc. No eggplant though...can" t have it! I was told the same thing with avacado. They usually leave all peels behind. They will turn a watermelon into a sheet of paper, same with pumpkin and hard squash. Compost all peelings. I still think a Rouen would be great crossed with KC. I am going to try that. Will be a larger KC with darker markings. Big eggs, large bird, but not too big.

I agree, NO potato peels for sure! If they turn green from light they are poisonous! I do not give peelings at all. I give whole bananas, have to pick up the skin afterwards. No body eats that. Whole cukes, anything from my garden, that is split, soft etc. No eggplant though...can" t have it! I was told the same thing with avacado. They usually leave all peels behind. They will turn a watermelon into a sheet of paper, same with pumpkin and hard squash. Compost all peelings. I still think a Rouen would be great crossed with KC. I am going to try that. Will be a larger KC with darker markings. Big eggs, large bird, but not too big.

@Robeenop , please let us know how the KC-Rouen cross birds lay. I have Khakis that lay well though they take Jan and Feb off.

It'll be interesting to see the KC crosses.... I have KC/Cayuga mix eggs in the bator now... I'm hoping for great layer bigger bird. I'm excited to see the color patterns!!!!

Advice please....I have kept hens for 9 years, I currently have two older EE's left and have 4 EE's pullets coming next month. I have been wanted to add a couple ducks specifically KC's to my small backyard flock in the same run. So I have a few questions...do these ducks mix well with chickens? I do plan to let the ducks out in my yard a lot more often than my hens as I have a decent sized yard with a lots of cottage garden style beds for them to forage for bugs as well as plenty of grass. But I want to know if when they are in the run together will two ducks get along ok with 6 hens? My other question is I would ideally love to have a drake and duck pair but I'm afraid the drake will constantly try to mate with my hens. But I don't want eggs coming out my ears with two ducks plus my 4 hens (my older hens haven't laid in a year). Any advice would be helpful for those who have mixed flocks especially with KCs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom