The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Advice please....I have kept hens for 9 years, I currently have two older EE's left and have 4 EE's pullets coming next month. I have been wanted to add a couple ducks specifically KC's to my small backyard flock in the same run. So I have a few questions...do these ducks mix well with chickens? I do plan to let the ducks out in my yard a lot more often than my hens as I have a decent sized yard with a lots of cottage garden style beds for them to forage for bugs as well as plenty of grass. But I want to know if when they are in the run together will two ducks get along ok with 6 hens? My other question is I would ideally love to have a drake and duck pair but I'm afraid the drake will constantly try to mate with my hens. But I don't want eggs coming out my ears with two ducks plus my 4 hens (my older hens haven't laid in a year). Any advice would be helpful for those who have mixed flocks especially with KCs.
We have our ducks and chickens together and they seem fine. I will be honest we did have some drake on chicken action but nothing the ladies were not able to escape from. I have 9 kc's, 1 Cayuga and we had 6 hens down to 4 because of weezle and a rooster and we have never really had a problem

Last edited:
My KC are afraid of my hens, the hens steal food from them, but they've got big jumbo pekins and rouens to guard them :) maybe if you have a small flock of hens and a few ducks. I have 14 ducks, and 40 hens 9 roosters and 7 junglefowl. My ducks and chickens are not housed together but free range together.

My KC are afraid of my hens, the hens steal food from them, but they've got big jumbo pekins and rouens to guard them
smile.png
maybe if you have a small flock of hens and a few ducks. I have 14 ducks, and 40 hens 9 roosters and 7 junglefowl. My ducks and chickens are not housed together but free range together.
Can you describe the offspring of the KC crosses with the Jumbo Pekin and rouens?

Can you describe the offspring of the KC crosses with the Jumbo Pekin and rouens?

Sure, I have a KC x Pekin cross, her whole back half is white and her front is almost exact like a male khaki except it's much lighter, she is a female. Her father was KC and mom was Pekin. She is super overly friendly and will follow me around everywhere. She rides around the car with me. Surprisingly she is a bit smaller than a KC and she's a really good layer, I get 2 eggs a day sometimes! I'll upload a picture later :)
Her eggs are grayish blue and sorta oval shaped. I would not recommend crossing a female KC and JumboPekin male braces the male will hurt the female. My KC cross is a cross between a regular pekin and KC. All my female pekins are regular, my males are jumbo. My rouens are also male, and mostly my khaki are female except 2. I have the male rouens because they are my favorite in coloring.

Last edited:
I have recently adopted a rescue we feel is a Khaki Campbell. Never had Khakis before - something that does not show on photo's is that she has a slightly lighter-colored "eyebrow" stripe above her eyes. Is this a KC trait?

Not that it matters a whit - but when we adopt these ducks with mysterious history, sometimes I begin to wonder what breed they are.

I'll still call her a Khaki Campbell. And though I had thought Alba might be a White Campbell, her she has me back to White Mallard.

I have recently adopted a rescue we feel is a Khaki Campbell.  Never had Khakis before - something that does not show on photo's is that she has a slightly lighter-colored "eyebrow" stripe above her eyes.  Is this a KC trait?

Not that it matters a whit - but when we adopt these ducks with mysterious history, sometimes I begin to wonder what breed they are.

I'll still call her a Khaki Campbell.  And though I had thought Alba might be a White Campbell, her she has me back to White Mallard.

She's probably has a little Rouen in her. Most likely one of her parents was a mix and her other parent was a KC.

That makes sense, because the person at the rescue organization told me, "she's a little big for a Khaki Campbell."

So, yes, she's likely 1/4 Rouen. She is a doll. Very friendly, chatty, curious, responsive, with a pinch of mischievous.

And this morning it looks like she's got a little bed-head. A few feathers near the top of her neck look like they've been folded forward.

Last edited:
Are KCs broody?

Can the drakes be left in the pen with ducklings?

Is a small pool or pond a requirement for keeping ducks?

Do ducks damage flower beds or gardens or do they mainly forage in the soil/ subsoil

Back
Top Bottom