The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

It's why duck people are so dedicated. When things go wrong, it can take a lot to figure it out.
It's also possible they had genetic issues. A very long shot. But didn't they come from the same place?
My vet did say Hannah seems to be very sensitive when after xray, checking bacteria in her poop etc didn't lead us to any specific issue. Basic bloodwork done showed her as being anemic, but that's as far as we went. He said I should change to Mazuri duck food, but I'd have to order it online.

Changing food is an idea. Even Blue Seal organic if you can get it. Heck, even standard Blue Seal laying rations in her case.

Gosh, this just feels like poisoning....but I am grasping at straws.

Hannah is sensitive in what way?

Thinking, thinking, obsessing.....

Is Howard the only drake of the four?

Have you contacted the hatchery? Sometimes there are congenital oviduct problems that do not cause trouble till the duckling starts to mature.

There was a Nutrena recall in 2013 due to insufficient calcium, if I understand correctly. I think that might be more of a problem for females than males, even at a young age.....

iamcuriositycat had a problem with her ducks not laying. We all tried to figure it out. She eventually rehomed them, then somehow thought to check the new garden hose used for their water. Found it was leaching an endocrine disruptor. I am saying, sometimes it is that subtle.

Last edited:
Thinking, thinking, obsessing.....

Is Howard the only drake of the four?

Have you contacted the hatchery? Sometimes there are congenital oviduct problems that do not cause trouble till the duckling starts to mature.

There was a Nutrena recall in 2013 due to insufficient calcium, if I understand correctly. I think that might be more of a problem for females than males, even at a young age.....

iamcuriositycat had a problem with her ducks not laying. We all tried to figure it out. She eventually rehomed them, then somehow thought to check the new garden hose used for their water. Found it was leaching an endocrine disruptor. I am saying, sometimes it is that subtle.
No, the first two were a duck and drake. They both died. Now Hannah.... Omg, that subtle. I feel so helpless!

Changing food is an idea. Even Blue Seal organic if you can get it. Heck, even standard Blue Seal laying rations in her case.

Gosh, this just feels like poisoning....but I am grasping at straws.

Hannah is sensitive in what way?
Because he couldn't find any bacteria in her droppings etc, he just was thinking the last time (the third time in a year) she'd gone to the vets, he couldn't come up with a diagnosis. So he was thinking she was just sensitive. To what, I don't know. That's what has me so baffled!

Because he couldn't find any bacteria in her droppings etc, he just was thinking the last time (the third time in a year) she'd gone to the vets, he couldn't come up with a diagnosis. So he was thinking she was just sensitive. To what, I don't know. That's what has me so baffled!
Just my opinions and I do HVAC work so I know nothing about medicine or medical advice and I should not be listened to- my disclaimer.

NO bacteria in the droppings at all? Are you feeding antibiotics or anything that would kill all bacteria? Sounds like even the probiotics are not working. Maybe if poisoning it is killing the bacteria too?

If it were me, and this will take a couple days, I would start feeding fermented food and stop the dry powder probiotics because it takes them so much time to reactivate that they are really not that effective. Fermented feed is loved once they get used to it and then they will demand it. Very easy to make until you research further- just take your feed, soak in water and leave it in a warm place for about 4 days. If you have some real sourkraut or kefir or other fermented foods you can use the liquid as a starter and have some activate in a day or two. You can also soak the food in water and put one or two of your probiotic pills or whatever into it and the probiotics should activate by morning.

If poisioning you can try activated carbon charcoal, which is what they put in fish filters. It will suck toxins out- vets give it sometimes- their form is a little gray pill and it does the same as the granuals from what I am told. I gave some to a dog I have one time that went crazy eating apples- little known fact is the seed in apples contain what we call arsenic, so my dog was poisioned and was pooping his guts out. Gave him the charcoal and it cleared up.

My guess- most likely the scraps you are giving has something the ducks shouldn't have like advocado peels or something you wouldn't think much about like green potato peels. Someone here will post what they shouldn't eat. It has been posted in this thread but is back about 5 or 10 posts by now. I know because I asked for the list.

Got my baby ducklings today ... i am very excited we are new to the duck world and i ended up with one khaki campbell, a rouen, and two white peking ducklings our family is very happy and cant wait to watch the little ones grow up!! My daughter and son named all the little ones today you are meeting brownie, fluffy, carolina, and sammy <3

Got my baby ducklings today ... i am very excited we are new to the duck world and i ended up with one khaki campbell, a rouen, and two white peking ducklings our family is very happy and cant wait to watch the little ones grow up!! My daughter and son named all the little ones today you are meeting brownie, fluffy, carolina, and sammy <3

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom