The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

My husband decided to surprise me with 6 ducklings today. We got them from Tractor Supply and I looked up the colors - Khaki Campbell! They're adorable and pretty chatty. Our older Pekin needed some duck friends, she's been living with the chickens since her "sister" was killed by a dog that got into their pen. The duck thinks she is a chicken and the chickens think they're ducks. Pretty fun and not unsafe since we only have a shallow creek or Quackerton's small pool.

Only bad part of having the ducklings was one died this afternoon. When we got home I noticed that one of the ducklings was struggling to move around. It moved like it had just hatched. It seemed to have trouble breathing, too. I put it in a brooder alone to keep the others from trampling it. It peeped quite a bit, like it was in distress, so I took it out and kept it close to my chest for warmth while I worked on an editing job. It seemed happier, then when I picked it up to give it another look over- it had seemed splay-legged--it threw it's head back violently, it's legs went rigid and it just died. The kids and I just sat there in shock because it had seemed to be perking up a minute before. I called Tractor Supply after we buried the little thing, they're giving us another healthy one tomorrow, but I really wish they had looked the babies over better.

We're hoping that my Pekin will take to the babies and become friendly. She had a run in with ANOTHER dog, mine this time. He's 4 months old and didn't know ducks don't play like dogs do. Our other Shepherd doesn't bother the birds, pretty sure that after the rooster beat on the pup he won't try it again. Since she's healing the bite we have put the brood box in her healer pen. She looks over the side and watches the babies. Everyone has had a peek at the new babies except for the chickens and the dogs. I don't think that the dogs will get to meet them at all!

My husband decided to surprise me with 6 ducklings today. We got them from Tractor Supply and I looked up the colors - Khaki Campbell! They're adorable and pretty chatty. Our older Pekin needed some duck friends, she's been living with the chickens since her "sister" was killed by a dog that got into their pen. The duck thinks she is a chicken and the chickens think they're ducks. Pretty fun and not unsafe since we only have a shallow creek or Quackerton's small pool.

Only bad part of having the ducklings was one died this afternoon. When we got home I noticed that one of the ducklings was struggling to move around. It moved like it had just hatched. It seemed to have trouble breathing, too. I put it in a brooder alone to keep the others from trampling it. It peeped quite a bit, like it was in distress, so I took it out and kept it close to my chest for warmth while I worked on an editing job. It seemed happier, then when I picked it up to give it another look over- it had seemed splay-legged--it threw it's head back violently, it's legs went rigid and it just died. The kids and I just sat there in shock because it had seemed to be perking up a minute before. I called Tractor Supply after we buried the little thing, they're giving us another healthy one tomorrow, but I really wish they had looked the babies over better.

We're hoping that my Pekin will take to the babies and become friendly. She had a run in with ANOTHER dog, mine this time. He's 4 months old and didn't know ducks don't play like dogs do. Our other Shepherd doesn't bother the birds, pretty sure that after the rooster beat on the pup he won't try it again. Since she's healing the bite we have put the brood box in her healer pen. She looks over the side and watches the babies. Everyone has had a peek at the new babies except for the chickens and the dogs. I don't think that the dogs will get to meet them at all!
Sorry to hear about your duckling, I hope everything works out with all the rest and the new one. My 2 are 6 weeks old now and I think we have a male and a female. They are fun to watch, and are outside full time now!

I put my younger three KC right in with my yearling Rouens, they made two laps around the chicken yard , with the KCs in hot pursuit, then all was well. They follow the larger Rouens everywhere. I have a Rouen Drake on order for pick up on 4/27; so I ordered another duck for delivery the same day. Did not want him to be lonely in the broader.This one is an Indian runner. Will be hilarious. The upright runner, and the waddling KC and Rouen!!!

I am a new duck Mum. I have two Khaki Campbell's so far. Pretty sure one Drake one Female not 100% yet as they are only about three weeks. Looking for ducky friends and looking to find someone in PA to get three more females not necessarily Khakis. Love reading this thread and seeing all the lovely pictures!!!

I am a new duck Mum. I have two Khaki Campbell's so far. Pretty sure one Drake one Female not 100% yet as they are only about three weeks. Looking for ducky friends and looking to find someone in PA to get three more females not necessarily Khakis. Love reading this thread and seeing all the lovely pictures!!!

Welcome!! You'll have to show some pics when you can!! Khakis are great. Lots of busybody personality. They remind me of gossipy little old ladies.

My profile picture is my two babies the day I got them. They are almost four weeks now not sure exact day but I heard some quacking for the first time today. I was very excited lol. I just love watching them already ;) I will add a recent picture as soon as I can. Thank you for the warm welcome!

My profile picture is my two babies the day I got them. They are almost four weeks now not sure exact day but I heard some quacking for the first time today. I was very excited lol. I just love watching them already ;) I will add a recent picture as soon as I can. Thank you for the warm welcome!

It's called Duck TV. It's more entertaining than cable, more educational, and cheaper!! Just be cautious of duck math... That's when 1+1=7....
Here's another great thread. All different ducks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737292/the-duck-thread/13620#post_16812709

Last edited:

My babies having fun in their little bath for a few minutes. I am so amazed by their little personalities.

Back
Top Bottom