The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

They are both drakes
Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted a 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinion. We will be ordering some more girls! The ducks crack us up. I worked with them to try to make them less flighty, it worked best with Bagel, but Popcorn and Taco dont mind me as long as I am not picking them up. They come up for treats and to inspect me, just dont want to be carried
smile.png
Our chickens are much more calm and lovey, but are not quite as entertaining as the ducks. We have loved watching them go after bugs and they really like ripping out the dandelions, so we think they are doing their jobs just fine.

Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted a 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinion. We will be ordering some more girls! The ducks crack us up. I worked with them to try to make them less flighty, it worked best with Bagel, but Popcorn and Taco dont mind me as long as I am not picking them up. They come up for treats and to inspect me, just dont want to be carried :)  Our chickens are much more calm and lovey, but are not quite as entertaining as the ducks. We have loved watching them go after bugs and they really like ripping out the dandelions, so we think they are doing their jobs just fine. 

I also find ducks alot more entertaining than chickens!! I love watching the ducks!

Is this

Is this hen, who is sitting on 20+ eggs, a muscovy/campbell cross? She was sold to us at 6 months old as a Campbell with 6 other cambells- khakis, whites, and darks. We have some drakes and hens. She is the only one that has gone broody, but I suspect one of my other campbells is getting there (a khaki).

Someone said she looks like a muscovy cross, but unless I am missing something, when compared to online pics, she looks like a DARK campbell? Would you agree? (I don't know that much about ducks in general)

Thanks!

Is this

Is this hen, who is sitting on 20+ eggs, a muscovy/campbell cross? She was sold to us at 6 months old as a Campbell with 6 other cambells- khakis, whites, and darks. We have some drakes and hens. She is the only one that has gone broody, but I suspect one of my other campbells is getting there (a khaki).

Someone said she looks like a muscovy cross, but unless I am missing something, when compared to online pics, she looks like a DARK campbell? Would you agree? (I don't know that much about ducks in general)

Thanks!

She doesn't look anything like a Muscovy. And I don't really know alot about The different colors of KC but she sure is a pretty duck.

Is this Is this hen, who is sitting on 20+ eggs, a muscovy/campbell cross? She was sold to us at 6 months old as a Campbell with 6 other cambells- khakis, whites, and darks. We have some drakes and hens. She is the only one that has gone broody, but I suspect one of my other campbells is getting there (a khaki). Someone said she looks like a muscovy cross, but unless I am missing something, when compared to online pics, she looks like a DARK campbell? Would you agree? (I don't know that much about ducks in general) Thanks!
. I agree. To me she looks like what I find when I google, "dark Campbell duck). She is very pretty!

Thank you! She us a favorite. I can't wait to hopefully have ducklings.

I tried candeling yesterday, but I dont think it was dark enough and i am a few days early, I think. Today should be day 7-8 that she's been sitting. So I will try tonight and take pictures!

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out. I have 6 Khaki Campbells that are approx. 6-8 weeks old. They are getting their feathers in but today while cleaning up their pen I took notice that 2 have blood drawn around their wings. I watched them closely for about 10 minutes and took notice I have one that pecks them where they are bleeding. I have them in a 4x6 house with a 10x10 attached pen. They have a pool and always have access to food. I did a make shift separation of the one doing the pecking and the others seem much more relaxed. What is causing this and will I be able to eventually put the one back in with the others. Also will the 2 that were pecked to where blood was drawn get better? HELP!!

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out. I have 6 Khaki Campbells that are approx. 6-8 weeks old.  They are getting their feathers in but today while cleaning up their pen I took notice that 2 have blood drawn around their wings.  I watched them closely for about 10 minutes and took notice I have one that pecks them where they are bleeding.  I have them in a 4x6 house with a 10x10 attached pen.  They have a pool and always have access to food.  I did a make shift separation of the one doing the pecking and the others seem much more relaxed.  What is causing this and will I be able to eventually put the one back in with the others. Also will the 2 that were pecked to where blood was drawn get better?  HELP!! 

I have personally not experienced this but I remembered reading about it in "Duck Eggs Daily" by Lisa Steele (good book). She says, "Feather pulling shouldn’t be an issue in a happy flock with plenty of space. However, ducklings will often pick at the blood-filled shafts as they grow in their first feathers. Be sure your ducklings aren’t crowded and consider replacing your white heat lamp with a red bulb; it helps reduce pulling. Offer them lots of greens for added protein, including alfalfa, basil, broccoli florets, dill, fennel, mung bean sprouts, oregano, parsley, spinach and tarragon –all excellent protein sources."
Hope that helps!

I will definitely be giving them lots more greens. I think they are growing into their first feathers so I am going to also pray that is why they are being picked. I appreciate all your info, I have been driving myself crazy all day on what to do. Here's hoping this works. Thank you once again!! :)

I will definitely be giving them lots more greens. I think they are growing into their first feathers so I am going to also pray that is why they are being picked. I appreciate all your info, I have been driving myself crazy all day on what to do. Here's hoping this works. Thank you once again!! :)
No problem. I have heard of some people giving their ducklings bird toys like mirrors, bird balls, etc.. it might distract the picker but it sounds like he should already be distracted?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom