The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

THE DUCKS ARE EATING MY GARDEN!!

Hi. First time posting here. I've read at least the first 80 pages or so of this thread but have questions that have not been answered there. The situation is getting a bit desperate...construct a fence for my KCs - 2 ducks and a drake - or give them away. The problem is, they are eating my garden!

The ducks currently have full run of my backyard where I have a variety of things planted here and there. Some things are fenced off, although that has not always kept them out. I just went outside and they have nearly demolished my cantaloupe plants. The leaves and vines are smashed down and there's not a single blossom left. This morning it was covered with blooms. :(

I think the issue is they are getting bigger...and hungrier.

If I create a pen for them they will have much less space in which to forage. I have too many plants in different places to fence every spot. Things are beginning to put on small vegetables and I'm concerned if the ducks can reach it they will eat it.

The other option is to give them away - or sell them. I've been waiting all this time - nearly 5 months now, I think, for eggs and so far I've spent lots of time and money, lost plants and still, NO EGGS!

If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. I'm concerned I would have to spend more $$ on grain if I keep them penned up because they will need more to eat. I have a pretty big back yard, but I live in town so it's not like they have acres to roam. Not sure what to do...

Here's the drake
IMG_0471.JPG

And I'm not saying that to be mean or anything. That's just what ducks do in my experience. They eat your yard, play in mud, poop, court each other, and make lots and lots of eggs. Eating your garden is part of "foraging". You can either pen the ducks and feed them a few cents of feed per day or pen the gardens. The ducks will make it up in eggs in no time, especially if realize that duck eggs cost $8-$5/dozen and a bag of feed should last you around a month and you'll be getting an egg a day from each duck until molt.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it. I've spent the past two days weighing the pros and cons of duck ownership and what I came down to really makes me laugh. The biggest pro is I've gotten a lot of exercise because of the ducks, mainly in the form of hauling water and walking. Funny.

The destruction of my garden at various stages has been very frustrating, but you make good points. I had also come to the conclusion that I had to have a better fence arrangement. Fencing off the garden plots isn't an option as they are spread all over, so a pen it is. I tried a makeshift pen yesterday, but I'm pretty sure they just flew right over it. So, wing clipping is also on the agenda.

The two reasons I got ducks in the first place were egg production (for which I mentioned I'm still waiting and thanks for the reminder that eggs are just around the corner!) and pest control. Fertilizer from their swim water has been a big plus.

My husband bought fencing for me yesterday, so I'm headed out now to construct the pen and then deal with wings. I hope this solves the problem.

Any suggestions for how much I should be feeding them? I put out I think a pint or so of grain every day for them and they nearly always finish it. I am guessing they will need a bit more if they are foraging less? I buy the non-gmo scratch feed, so it's a bit pricier. Maybe I can look at buying a larger bulk bag.

About the eggs...I paid $6 for 18 duck eggs at the local farmer's market, but then their ducks stopped laying. I thought the eggs were ok tasting, not nearly as good as the ones I got from a friend years ago, so maybe it had to do with what they were feeding them? I'm hoping the khaki eggs will be better.

Sexing a khaki Campbell. We got two kc's March 30th. They are both brown and have the lacing where their back meets their tail, but one has white bands on its wings. Today, the one with the white bands looks like it's getting a curled tail feather. It wasn't that way yesterday and then today, bam. I'll post some pics. It doesn't look like our buffs tail curl, so I'm wondering if it's just the first stage of curling or if it's just a disturbed feather? I tried smoothing it, but it wouldn't smooth and it wasn't loose. I'm also confused because my kids told me this khaki had been on the bottom end of some breeding. Please offer your opinions on whether this Campbell is a drake! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    523.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5206.JPG
    IMG_5206.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 10
Hello!

I have 3 khaki campbells and a peking. They are free ranging ducks, but all the sudden they don't want to leave their pen during the day to forage. It seems like they are scared to. I'll throw snacks (lettuce and fruit) right outside the open gate, and they won't take the bait! They love veggies and fruit and normally go crazy for it, so this behavior is very strange. However, if I do actually get them to come out, they stay out and roam the yard. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jenna

Back
Top Bottom