The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Sexing a khaki Campbell. We got two kc's March 30th. They are both brown and have the lacing where their back meets their tail, but one has white bands on its wings. Today, the one with the white bands looks like it's getting a curled tail feather. It wasn't that way yesterday and then today, bam. I'll post some pics. It doesn't look like our buffs tail curl, so I'm wondering if it's just the first stage of curling or if it's just a disturbed feather? I tried smoothing it, but it wouldn't smooth and it wasn't loose. I'm also confused because my kids told me this khaki had been on the bottom end of some breeding. Please offer your opinions on whether this Campbell is a drake! Thank you!

That does not look like a drake curl to me at all. It looks like a disturbed feather. The pencilling is wrong for a drake as well. I think you have two girls who are fake mating for pecking order or practice or whatever. I have two boys and three girls and every now and then I see one girl "mating" the other.

Nope. Here's a comparison chart from my favorite mail order duck hatcher/breeder.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=15805965

But they lay a lot more of them! My oldest girl started laying almost a year ago. She has given me an egg a day, almost everyday. She missed a few days early on but laid consistently all winter. She will have laid 340-355 eggs per year if she keeps it up for the next 11 days. Her eggs are also much bigger now than when she first started laying.

July 23, 2016 first egg
IMG_3947.jpg

July 12, 2017 most recent egg
FullSizeRender 40.jpg

What a difference a couple of months can make. This is Cheeze in March -breeding plumage and today (August) in Eclipse plumage. This is my first time seeing the Eclipse (Cheeze is a year and a half old). It surprised me.
IMG_3434.jpg
FullSizeRender 41.jpg

Back
Top Bottom