The law and thieves.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
My friend's girlfriend had her car broken into while she was at the gym. Her iPad was stolen. Luckily for her she had her iPad connected through security software to her boyfriend's(my friend) iPad. They have pinpointed the house it was at, have talked to the people, and even the police... but nothing. They filed a police report but they basically told them there is nothing they can do about it. Seems a bit whack.. I imagine if my friend was armed and kicked the door down and took it back they would have plenty of time to prosecute him. It's just a little sad that the police are unable to help certain victims due to a low budget. I live in Portland, Oregon, we don't even have huge crime rate like Chicago or Philadelphia.

I just have to shake my head. My friends are an honest, engaged couple who just got a place of their own. They never went out of their way looking for trouble. $700 is a lot of money, and to think they can pinpoint its exact location but the cops won't(or cant?) do anything? Disheartening.

Last edited:
My friend's girlfriend had her car broken into while she was at the gym. Her iPad was stolen. Luckily for her she had her iPad connected through security software to her boyfriend's(my friend) iPad. They have pinpointed the house it was at, have talked to the people, and even the police... but nothing. They filed a police report but they basically told them there is nothing they can do about it. Seems a bit whack.. I imagine if my friend was armed and kicked the door down and took it back they would have plenty of time to prosecute him. It's just a little sad that the police are unable to help certain victims due to a low budget. I live in Portland, Oregon, we don't even have huge crime rate like Chicago or Philadelphia.

I just have to shake my head. My friends are an honest, engaged couple who just got a place of their own. They never went out of their way looking for trouble. $700 is a lot of money, and to think they can pinpoint its exact location but the cops won't(or cant?) do anything? Disheartening.

Seems to me it should be enough to get a search warrant ? But you're right he would end up in jail if he went and took it back. Kind of like O.J.

old.gif

I would be speaking to the police chief or sheriff. They have evidence of the location of stolen property. It is nothing different that LoJack.
If the LEO would agree to send an officer over, they might return it with no questions asked.

Both the police and the local news are good advice, and I would contact the security software manufacturer, or Apple. Apple can shut it down, just like Microsoft can find and shut down pirated copies of Windows.

I recall a story where a kid used the gps to find items that were stolen from their house.The cops used that info,and the kid was big news for helping. I would be going up the chain on this.Those i-anything are not cheap.How insane they will not get it knowing where it is.I thought they use this tracking stuff for all items including cars.Makes recovery a lot easier.

Was it the city police that she called? If so have her try the Sheriff's dept. or the state police, they both should still have jurisdiction over that area and may be able to help. I had some family find some dope growing in a hard to access area of their property and called the Sheriff's Dept. they wouldn't help but the state police came right out and helped destroy the plants and took a report and even rechecked it for the next couple of years to make sure they trespassers didn't replace the plants. All the family members wanted was the stuff hauled off and not have harassment from the cops for having stuff like that on their property they didn't want or put on their property.

Back
Top Bottom