The Middle Tennessee Thread

I am going to order some Pyncheon Bantams from Strombergs. I don't really want a full 25 though. If someone wants to split an order with me (you can order whatever breed you want) I would love to go halvsies.

BTW if you free range your chickens how do you KNOW they are not eating bugs, frogs, or snakes that didn't come from somewhere that was sprayed with chemicals?  We can't avoid it until something on a large scales is done and the chemical companies are holding all the cards.

AND if you read up on some of the labeling guidelines they are not worth the paper they are written on.  Organic can still use antibiotics so you can't really know that you are getting what you are expecting.

Not a rant... not intended to be.  I do tend to see that the people that are the most worried about what they put in the chickens, don't eat them and take them to the vet.

I get that too. I have learned a valuable lesson about airing my opinions on a forum full of ppl who know wayyyyy more than I do about "organic" feed. I know there is no such thing as truly organic feed and everything out there is infused with chemicals. I just liked to think I was contributing to the organic movement or something. :confused: I do however have a problem with soy based feeds so I'm switching to Tucker's if my birds will eat it.

If you are moving to Fayetteville, Woodard's grocery in Lynchburg is closer to you. They sell Tucker feed cheaper than anywhere else. I bought chick starter there this week for under $10/50# bag. You call in an order by Monday morning and pick it up on Weds. Our birds do fantastic on Tucker.

I'm going to give them a call on Monday then. I moved my first batch of pullets to the new house today and I want to have all my fully feathered birds down there by next week!

I get that too. I have learned a valuable lesson about airing my opinions on a forum full of ppl who know wayyyyy more than I do about "organic" feed. I know there is no such thing as truly organic feed and everything out there is infused with chemicals. I just liked to think I was contributing to the organic movement or something. :confused: I do however have a problem with soy based feeds so I'm switching to Tucker's if my birds will eat it.
I'm going to give them a call on Monday then. I moved my first batch of pullets to the new house today and I want to have all my fully feathered birds down there by next week!

No matter what the subject matter, not everyone will always agree, or ever agree, lol... I think it's been a great discussion here though... it's good to get everyone talking about the different alternatives out there... people expressed interest in alternatives and many spoke up... nothing wrong with being passionate about what you believe in, prefer or like... now others can read through all this and see different viewpoints, ingredients, availability and prices and choose what they want... :)

I am going to order some Pyncheon Bantams from Strombergs. I don't really want a full 25 though. If someone wants to split an order with me (you can order whatever breed you want) I would love to go halvsies.

You might ask on the middle TN Facebook page. Also, they do take smaller orders by phone (15 for standards, not sure on bantam) so you could try that.

Last edited:
I get my Tuckers at Bonnies Barnyard in Arrington.  IDK how far that is but might be closer to you.  It is pellets for the free range and layer.  The chick starter is not a mash like Edwards it is like that bran cereal ... not powder but has some substance.  I think the 22% sells for like $12 or less and the chick starter is about the same.  The free range is like $9.  I don't buy anything else so not sure on other prices.  Call them they are great and will help you with personality. 

Just got up Bonnie's for the first time yesterday. Great people!!

These are the prices I got yesterday:

TM 14% Non-GMO multi species $10.75
TM 16% Non-GMO poultry $12.95
22% Super Later Mini pellet $11.90
20% Flock raiser all-natural $15.70
TM 18% Non-GMO chick start $12.99
TM 19% poultry for & developer $13.49
Coyote Creek Organic starter $36.99

15% TM Free range layer pellet $8.25
16% TM layer crumble $9.50
16% mini pellet $9.80
16% TM non-GMO later mini pellet $11.90
22% TM Super Layer mini pellet $12.99
17% Purina Layena pellet or crumble $14.79
Purina Layena Omega Plus, 40# $14.99
Coyote Creek Organic layer pellet or mash $39.99

Whole corn $7.59
Cracked corn $7.75
TMs 5-way scratch with soy oil $8.85
TMs Non-GMO scratch $14.40
Coyote Creek Organic scratch (special order)
TMs 16% cutting edge conditioner $15.99

They have extras like grit, oyster shells, egg cartons, DE, Purina dock block, meal worms

That's the one on Bear Creek, right? Did you try the Co-op?

It is the one on Bear Creek. I didn't ask at the co-op, I have bought from the co-op several times but not looking for Tuckers. I went to this place because the Tucker's milling website said their feed was carried there. No big deal. Just a change of plans!

It is the one on Bear Creek. I didn't ask at the co-op, I have bought from the co-op several times but not looking for Tuckers. I went to this place because the Tucker's milling website said their feed was carried there. No big deal. Just a change of plans!

Ah, ok! Now I understand, lol... I tried looking on that stores website once before to see if they carried something and it was one messed up website! Never tried the website again, lol...

Anybody else sick of RAIN- MUD- YUK AND SLIME?
barnie.gif

I have a bucket outside with about a foot of water in it.

Trying really hard to remember April showers and May flowers. Not working. Needing Sun
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom