The Middle Tennessee Thread

I gave up trying to find non-industrial RIRs, that's why I went with the RIWs.

There's a breeder listed in KY at the livestock conservancy. You can enter your zip code and the distance you're willing to drive and they'll show what they have listed.

ETA: You can also check with SPN, but I don't think there are any farms near us...

Livestock Conservancy is a neat looking website, thank you for sharing that. What is SPN?

I'm doing the same thing! I learned the other day that every Saturday in February, at Bonnie's Barnyard (it's a feedstore) in College Grove is the very local breeder, and he's there for people to ask questions, buy birds, and order birds for later in the spring. He runs the local 4H program and is very knowledgable. Bonnie's Barnyard has a FB page if you're on there, and you can always call them, or just show up. From what I remember, they have the breeds your looking for.... but my next step in research is asking him where they got their stock. Might be awesome, but I'm still going to ask. Since that 4H program got their chicks from Ideal hatchery, and we had some serious mishaps with them.

The Poultry house comes to Bonnies. They are a Hatchery not a breeder.

The Poultry house comes to Bonnies. They are a Hatchery not a breeder.

Oh gosh, that's right, I totally forgot that. I think I learned their title, The Poultry House, but I wasn't sure, like you say, if they were a hatchery or a breeder. You just saved me a lot of time, thank you!!! I'll remember not to mention them if someone is asking about breeders in my area.

I think we've decided on Meyer Hatchery for our first chicks. We are wanting to order the All Pullet Rainbow Pack for some good layers.

If you have any experience with Meyer, or specifically, the pullet pack:
Any problem with shipping?
Mortality rates?
Correctly sexed?
Customer service experience?
Breed variety included in the pullet pack?

TIA

A friend of mine and I ordered from McMurray several times and have never had any deaths or mis-sexed chicks. Uf males were ordered, they would mark him with a dot on his head I think if you requested it. Sometimes they throw in a mystery chick or two to fill the box if its a small order. Overall, I have been pleased. This year, tho, I ordered from Ideal since thier prices are better.

I think we've decided on Meyer Hatchery for our first chicks. We are wanting to order the All Pullet Rainbow Pack for some good layers.

If you have any experience with Meyer, or specifically, the pullet pack:
Any problem with shipping?
Mortality rates?
Correctly sexed?
Customer service experience?
Breed variety included in the pullet pack?

TIA

I ordered some chicks from Meyer for the first time a couple weeks ago. Meyer is offering a 100% sexing guarantee this year so I am hopeful! I ordered specific chicks and not a variety pack. They're not arriving until March tho so I don't know if that will be before you order yours. I'll check back in and let ya'll know my experience. This is my first time ordering chicks via mail so I'm excited but nervous. :fl

I've used several different hatcheries, Meyer's customer service and follow-up are second to none. This was an order of BBW Turkeys. My box didn't make the early truck out of Nashville, so no way for it to make it to my PO until after closing. Meyer called my PO acting as my wife begging them to find the box and call me. They did, I had to go to Cookeville to pick it up, but better than it sitting overnight. All chicks arrived alive and well.

I've used several different hatcheries, Meyer's customer service and follow-up are second to none. This was an order of BBW Turkeys. My box didn't make the early truck out of Nashville, so no way for it to make it to my PO until after closing. Meyer called my PO acting as my wife begging them to find the box and call me. They did, I had to go to Cookeville to pick it up, but better than it sitting overnight. All chicks arrived alive and well.

Wow. That's awesome! Nerve wracking but I'm glad they all were ok.

Back
Top Bottom