The Middle Tennessee Thread

Was shipping reasonable?  I am going to need some when I start making small breeding pens. after I sell some pullets to make some more money.  That feed bill really wiped my chicken money OUT!  2000lbs will do that and the some.

Yeah, they charge $4.95 FLAT RATE shipping! They don't collect tax for TN either.

200-300? Oh my! How many peeps are you expecting?

I ordered hardware cloth last night for the juvie coop's run. Hubby had tried to talk me into poultry netting but I dug in my heels listing all of the predators known to inhabit our forest. I then shopped all of the stores around here and all over online. Ozbo beat them all on the 36x50 roll. It's longer than the 30 ft I figured I'd need but bigger is always better, right? And the 50 ft roll was so close in price to three tens that it made no sense to get the smaller ones. BTW, it ended up being the same price per foot as the 36" poultry netting at TSC which gave hubby NO room to argue.
Honestly I don't know haha... Taking some friends of mine eggs to incubate and doing some trading so I have a few full grown or juvies I am expecting to pick up soon. Plus the few chicks they are going to incubate for friends to have and keep a few for myself. Pen is originally 11'x30' ft and with some work today I hope to make it up to an 11'x50' at least by tomorrow. I only have 17 right now and picking one up tomorrow plus I have others I've agreed to get and whatever else I can get my better half to agree to
fl.gif
Pen is only used in emergencies as all mine free range wherever they want

Hi everyone.......... So yesterday I discovered that some of my chickens have northern fowl mites
barnie.gif
!!! I have 10 hens right now and I know that 4 have them. They free range all day then go in the coop at night. They must of got them from the starlings, sparrows, and other wild birds. I will be going to TSC today to get something to treat them with. Is there anything y'all would recommend?

A lot of rabbits is now avaible. I have lion heads, mini rexs, netherland dwarfs, holland lop, fuzzy lop, and jersey wooley $20.00 each. We have some flemish giants with pedigrees for $60.00 each. They are all of the greates qualty. They are located in Sparta, TN. Please pm for more details.

Hi everyone.......... So yesterday I discovered that some of my chickens have northern fowl mites
barnie.gif
!!! I have 10 hens right now and I know that 4 have them. They free range all day then go in the coop at night. They must of got them from the starlings, sparrows, and other wild birds. I will be going to TSC today to get something to treat them with. Is there anything y'all would recommend?

Time to get the DE on them ASAP. Wipe it as evenly as you can get it down to the skin. The problem areas are the vent and rear. Sometimes plucking some rear feathers helps with daily treatments. Keep it up daily for at least 3 weeks. Put the DE in the dust bath areas too. Generous helpings of it. Look into external herbal remedies too. This will allow the birds to recover well and not needing to wait for them to recover for egg production.

If you use other pesticides and/or insecticide, you will need to separate the birds from the flock and avoid consuming any of those eggs for some time, even after the threat is gone.

We had what looked like the beginnings of a mite problem last summer. I used a poultry dust product with permethrin in it. It's from chrysanthemums so still a low toxicity option. I applied it directly to the one showing signs, sprinkled some in them favorite dusting areas, and then cleaned the coop thoroughly. I treated the empty coop with a sprayer filled with organic fruit tree spray drenching all surfaces. The ingredient list happens to exactly match products sold for ear mite drops so it's safe enough to get on them.. Again, effective, with low toxicity. I use plastic pans for nest boxes so I sprinkled underneath those with the dust as well.

wee.gif
My incubator is up and running. Nothing in it yet but trying to get it regulated. So far temps 98.7-100.6 (approx) and humidity 53-57%. Will keep checking for the next few days and hopefully, if the girls get in gear and I get the incubator regulated, setting eggs the first of March.

wee.gif
My incubator is up and running. Nothing in it yet but trying to get it regulated. So far temps 98.7-100.6 (approx) and humidity 53-57%. Will keep checking for the next few days and hopefully, if the girls get in gear and I get the incubator regulated, setting eggs the first of March.
That is great! Happy for you : )

What kinds of eggs are you going to set for your first run?

(I'm suggest at least a few be WHITE, I personally had a lot of extra stress on my 1st try b/c I had no eggs I could candle easily, & only found out after the fact that Marans tend to take longer so there was needless drama & stress added to my 1st try incubating-- Just what I learned for myself the hard way.)

That is great! Happy for you : )

What kinds of eggs are you going to set for your first run?

(I'm suggest at least a few be WHITE, I personally had a lot of extra stress on my 1st try b/c I had no eggs I could candle easily, & only found out after the fact that Marans tend to take longer so there was needless drama & stress added to my 1st try incubating-- Just what I learned for myself the hard way.)

Thank you. I don't have any white eggs!
he.gif
I have my LF bbs Orps, EEs, BCM under EE roo.

I think I will be able to tell on the Orp eggs but very doubtful on the others. I know last year when we had the broodies I tried to candle the EE and Marans eggs and couldn't see anything. Oh well at least they are free eggs and I will have some I can candle. I am going to check fertility of the eggs in the next few weeks (so far all have been fertilized that I have checked).

Back
Top Bottom