The Middle Tennessee Thread

You can have chickens in most areas of cheatham co. unless you move into a newer subdivision. The commute to Nashville is only 25 mins from where I live. Chickens are not actually allowed in my subdivision, but I'm getting a few bantams anyway. Just no roos. We are surrounded by farmland. Cows, corn, tobacco. I can hear somebodies roo crowing from my back deck.
I'm a newbie here by the way. Hello to all my fellow tennesseans!

Well if you get some of the hilly land just remember that you must reduce the stocking rate that is usually quoted for this area. The hills are drier and don't grow grass as fast as flat places unless you plant Bermuda grass. Bermuda can grow on dew.

You can have chickens in most areas of cheatham co. unless you move into a newer subdivision. The commute to Nashville is only 25 mins from where I live. Chickens are not actually allowed in my subdivision, but I'm getting a few bantams anyway. Just no roos. We are surrounded by farmland. Cows, corn, tobacco. I can hear somebodies roo crowing from my back deck.

Can you have them downtown ashland city? I sure would like to have some roos to crow to counter the neighbors dogs every morning for my 7am wake up call.

Hi neighbor!

Like TinTennessee said, check neighborhood covenants and deed restrictions in addition to city/county rules. I live outside city limits in Maury County (fairly rural)...we can have livestock, the neighbors behind us cannot. They are considered a subdivision (even though they are in the boonies), and the subdivision prohibits any livestock. (Really ticks off the neighbor...with good reason...why live out in the country if you still have to contend with homeowners associations, neighborhood covenants, etc.?) This was something we learned to have the realtor research when we moved from Texas-we almost put an offer on a property with 5 acres and no livestock limits BUT it DID have a weird deed restriction that prohibited any livestock STRUCTURES. Basically, you could have horses but no barn, chickens but no coop. So many weird rules.........

I saw there are some folks from the Nashville area. My family and I are moving to TN in a few weeks and we're trying to figure out what towns allow backyard chickens. I'm having trouble finding information about Springfield and White House. That's the area I think we might end up. We have friends in Smyrna but I know backyard chickens are a no no there so we took that town off of our list of possibilities. It's important to us that we reside somewhat near Nashville (like anywhere within an hour in any direction) simply because we are trying to be no more than 8 hours from the Detroit area so we can easily visit family. Also important is that we live in a town that allows backyard chickens. Anybody from around the Nashville area? If so, what town and do you know the ordinances regarding chickens in your town? I've already checked the city ordinances listed on backyardchickens.com but not many of the towns around Nashville are listed and it's difficult to find the information online. Thanks so much for any help!
I live in West Wilson County, actually in the city limits of Mt Juliet. In a subdivision, an older one, not one of the new ones. I can be across Nashville in 30 minutes or so in non rush hour traffic. Schools here are super wonderful! In the city limits here the rules are that the coop has to be so far from a residential building. I will check with hubby because he is the one that researched that part. Neighbor down the road had a rooster. Lots here are 1/4 to 1/3 or so acre. We have 9 chickens so far...lol a coop and a small tractor. We let the chickens out to free range back yard when we are home and able to keep an eye on them. If you wanted a little more land, there would probably be no limit as long as there was no smell. There is quite a bit of properties in Wilson County with more land.

Welcome! Newbie here as well! :D

Back
Top Bottom