The Middle Tennessee Thread

Yes 16 cockerels out of 18 chicks that's not bad right.
2 years ago I had an awful batch. Out of 76 eggs hatched I got 11 hens and out of the 11 hens 6 had feathered legs. I didn't want that trait. So 5 hens out of 76 chicks. ;-( I got rid of that roo. This years new rooster, looks to have 60/40 My 2 month old I have 7 pullets and 5 roos I'm hoping my other chicks are about the same ratio. I have a guy in Mcdonald TN who takes all my extra roos.

I thought my Silkie was broody forever.......but the Maran is proving to be broody even longer!! Will she ever get off that nesting box????? I have tried everything and I mean everything but she just won't quit. She's my only chocolate brown egg layer and I want my eggs back!

Hey y'all - quick newbie question: I think my Jersey Giant, Mica, has gone broody...but I want to verify b/c she also has a leg issue (want to make sure it isn't the old leg just acting up). She's been hanging in the nest box except when I let them out to free-range...then when her crop is full, she goes BACK to the tractor and "whines" (best way I can describe it) until I put her back in (so she can get back to the nest box). She's also been getting more aggressive with the other hens (although I guess this could be due to pain since the leg is acting up), and "puffing up" a lot (dropping her wings forward, and fluffing out the feathers at her neck/check). Still bright-eyed...and doesn't seem to be losing any weight...is she just broody?

For her swollen leg, tear up a brown paper bag and soak the strips in cider vinegar. Wrap them wet strips around the swollen leg and wrap cellophane around it. Distract her for 30 minutes so she doesn't pick at it then take it off. This will reduce the pain and swelling. It works on people too. You can even add it to her drinking water and it will help. It doesn't surprise me that an old injury is bothering her. It is the barometer changes with these storms. The day that all those tornadoes tore Oklahoma up so bad my knee that I had surgery on 8 years ago put me in bed all day in excruciating pain that prescription NSAIDs wouldn't relieve. Nothing was helping that day. Of course by the time the storms came here they weren't so violent. But I can always tell by the pain levels if poor Oklahoma and/or Arkansas are getting slammed with tornadoes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice y'all! I've never tried apple cider vinegar wraps...I use old towels soaked in very warm water with epsom salts, covered with vet wrap for my Arabian horse when his arthritis flares-up (he's 21 years old, but it hasn't flared-up but twice in the last year..and a little bute from the vet/some epsom wraps coupled with hydro-therapy sorted him out pretty quickly). I wonder if the epsom salt/cold hydro-therapy would work with Mica, too? I've got plenty of vet wrap...might try wrapping the strips in seran wrap and then over-topping it with vet wrap to keep her from removing it too fast...

If she's a broody, that's kinda exciting...I have a large dog kennel I can convert into a pen for her (just need a nest box...I already have it converted for a sick/injured/emergency pen...small perch and all...) Just glad to hear that the attitude may be from broodiness, not because her leg is bothering her. (The only other time this has happened, it seemed much worse than this time...she could only hobble a few steps then sit down and rest, but she stayed sweet the whole time...this time around, once I throw her out to forage, she stays up.) I think I'll try the golf-ball test, and if she IS broody, I might be hitting some of y'all up to buy some fertile eggs! :)

Posting this from Craig's List to remind everyone! I'm planning on taking a carload of chicks and turkey poults!

Poultry Swap Meet
Saturday, June 15th 7am-3pm
Cannon County Fairgrounds Pemberton Memorial Arena
614 W. Lehman St. Woodbury TN 37190

$10.00 set-up fee
Pullorum testing on-site by TN Dept of Agriculture
Water & water cups provided, bring your own feed
Contain your poultry in cages, cages not available
Vendors who sell poultry related products are also WELCOME
This meet will be held in the livestock arena so weather will not affect it

BUY, SELL and SWAP!!!

Thank you for your participation!!!
Need more info? Contact Miss Emily @ 615-427-2288 or reply to email

Thanks for all the advice y'all! I've never tried apple cider vinegar wraps...I use old towels soaked in very warm water with epsom salts, covered with vet wrap for my Arabian horse when his arthritis flares-up (he's 21 years old, but it hasn't flared-up but twice in the last year..and a little bute from the vet/some epsom wraps coupled with hydro-therapy sorted him out pretty quickly). I wonder if the epsom salt/cold hydro-therapy would work with Mica, too? I've got plenty of vet wrap...might try wrapping the strips in seran wrap and then over-topping it with vet wrap to keep her from removing it too fast...

If she's a broody, that's kinda exciting...I have a large dog kennel I can convert into a pen for her (just need a nest box...I already have it converted for a sick/injured/emergency pen...small perch and all...) Just glad to hear that the attitude may be from broodiness, not because her leg is bothering her. (The only other time this has happened, it seemed much worse than this time...she could only hobble a few steps then sit down and rest, but she stayed sweet the whole time...this time around, once I throw her out to forage, she stays up.) I think I'll try the golf-ball test, and if she IS broody, I might be hitting some of y'all up to buy some fertile eggs! :)
What part of TN are in in? I'm near Chattanooga, If you need fertile eggs I have EE's and OE's. My roo is an OE (Splash Maran roo X green/blue egg laying hens) So a single green egg gene. My girls are BCM, EE, and OE. Depends on which way you go. Brown egg hens= brown egg with 1 green gene to pass on. Green egg hen = green{Olive} offspring. Unless it is OE(F1) +OE(F1) then 50% will be brown eggs 50% olive. Chicken math again. The roo is a (F1) OE hens are F1&F2.

What part of TN are in in? I'm near Chattanooga, If you need fertile eggs I have EE's and OE's. My roo is an OE (Splash Maran roo X green/blue egg laying hens) So a single green egg gene. My girls are BCM, EE, and OE. Depends on which way you go. Brown egg hens= brown egg with 1 green gene to pass on. Green egg hen = green{Olive} offspring. Unless it is OE(F1) +OE(F1) then 50% will be brown eggs 50% olive. Chicken math again. The roo is a (F1) OE hens are F1&F2.
smile.png
I'm just north of Columbia...I actually have some easter eggers in my mixed flock (two lay green eggs, one lays blue)...super easy keepers. We surely don't need any more chickens (husband has threatened that any survivors will be flying into the freezer), but I have a friend that wants to get started with chickens...so if Mica can successfully hatch some, I have a good home for them...and I think EEs would be a good start. This week I'll be working on getting the kinks out of the broody crate (trying to come up with a safe spot close enough that she can still see/hear her buddies, but any random neighborhood dogs won't be able to mess with her...) I'll touch base with you later on this week, if that will work...

Back
Top Bottom