The Middle Tennessee Thread

A hawk swooped and took a chunk out of one of my Marans :*( I could cry! She's my good layer. She's alive but I'm on the fence about culling her. Put some Blue on her and gonna give her a day or so. I guess with the snow they were actually visible. Usually they stay in the brush line, but I guess decided to play in the snow. I forgot to tell my son to NOT let them out today, so it's my fault.
sad.png
so sorry to hear....The hawks have been out full force lately
sad.png

Hawks are bad here right now as well Donna... and they are acting the same way. Staying in the trees around the property and screaming alot. Must be their mating time or something.

Hawks are bad here right now as well Donna... and they are acting the same way. Staying in the trees around the property and screaming alot. Must be their mating time or something.

I know we had 4 (maybe 2 pair) in the back near my breeding pens. This is the first I have seen them out front really. But one is making a habit of it. My neighbor free ranges her chickens so that may be drawing them in. I see them ALL the time now. I saw one bomb diving to get something on the side of the road the other day. Kinda neat to watch them hunt like that.... as long as it is not one of my birds.

I heard a story yesterday....there were 2 young roosters about 15 weeks chest bumping and trying to figure out dominance the rest of the chickens ran for cover....there was a hawk in a tree. While the two roosters still arguing the hawk flew to the closed coop door and watched on the ground. One of the roosters figured out all the others ran for cover so did he. The hawk walked up to the other rooster like he was a chicken and bam nailed him. The first rooster started running to the rescue of other and figured out oops bad idea and ran back. Those hawks are pretty smart....

A hawk swooped and took a chunk out of one of my Marans :*( I could cry! She's my good layer. She's alive but I'm on the fence about culling her. Put some Blue on her and gonna give her a day or so. I guess with the snow they were actually visible. Usually they stay in the brush line, but I guess decided to play in the snow. I forgot to tell my son to NOT let them out today, so it's my fault.
sad.png
So sorry….hawk got 2 of mine so I know how you feel.

Its been YEARS since I have been to one. But..I didn't get there till 130 I am not usually off on saturdays and noticed it on craigslist..It was good they only had goats that I saw. They said they were supposed to have cows but must have gotten lost lol it was the first time in 3 mos from what they said so should be better next weekend. There were alot of nice looking goats though

Back
Top Bottom