The Middle Tennessee Thread

From what I have read about bielefelders I would rather have them. The Rhodebars are good layers but need lots of work. Mine are still pullets and have been laying for several months. Maybe a large egg or a little smaller. Before the cold snap I was getting 2-3 eggs daily from 3 pullets. I did hatch 75% pullets though! LOL.
Ok, I would love some Rhodebar fertile eggs! I think I need to see how the hens behave over the weekend to make sure they are serious about being broody. As of today, 2 didn't leave the nest box…even while the rest of the girls basked in this beautiful sunshine. This will be our first go at hatching under a hen, would love any tips!

From what I have read about bielefelders I would rather have them.  The Rhodebars are good layers but need lots of work.  Mine are still pullets and have been laying for several months.  Maybe a large egg or a little smaller.  Before the cold snap I was getting 2-3 eggs daily from 3 pullets.  I did hatch 75% pullets though!  LOL. 

Ok, I would love some Rhodebar fertile eggs!  I think I need to see how the hens behave over the weekend to make sure they are serious about being broody.  As of today, 2 didn't leave the nest box…even while the rest of the girls basked in this beautiful sunshine.  This will be our first go at hatching under a hen, would love any tips!

maybe we can do a trade when your girls get going.

Unfortunately I buried her at about 4:30am in the freezing cold before work.

I was examining her box and the green poo actually bleeding through the pine shavings and is vibrant green like a dye. That makes me wonder if she got a hold of a rat pellet. I used some a few months ago on the other side of the yard to get a coon that was stalking the garden and chickens. Maybe a squirrel got one, carried it over and dropped it in their run. It's about the only explanation I can come up with as none of the other girls have any symptoms whatsoever.
Hello! I just lost one similarly this week. I really think it was probably worms which they can get around the yard - wild birds, etc. It's so hard to know for sure, but it wasn't respiratory. I had just treated my whole flock with Wazine in their water the day my hen died (she was almost 2 yrs old), and will follow up with Ivomec 10 days later on the rest of the girls. I have never wormed my flock, but I think I will start doing it at least once/year. Probably around winter solstice when they aren't laying much as there is a 2 week egg withdrawal period with most wormers. I do use ACV in their water, but I had stopped putting DE in their feed (have started back now though)...these usually aid in prevention, but I think this cold weather stressed this bird more than my others she was a loner - flock of 5 hens...now 4 :(
Sorry for your loss...

Ok, I would love some Rhodebar fertile eggs! I think I need to see how the hens behave over the weekend to make sure they are serious about being broody. As of today, 2 didn't leave the nest box…even while the rest of the girls basked in this beautiful sunshine. This will be our first go at hatching under a hen, would love any tips!

I had two broody girls last summer and let them hatch some chicks. I thought it would be good to let them be broody together, but then it got complicated once it was hatch time. I had to separate them because they can get territorial and chicks can get hurt. So, my advice is to just give eggs to one and quarantine her. It was great letting them raise the chicks. No brooders to clean! I fenced off a section within the run so the rest of the flock got to know the chicks also. So, once the chicks were old enough they just integrated in with no problems. I still kept the sectioned off part with an entrance just large enough for the chicks...this is where I kept their food and water...and they could escape if they were getting picked on, but this didn't really happen much because mama was never too far :)
Good luck!!!

this is my Black Copper Marans roo when he was younger, he has alot more color now. I need to go out and take more photos, but they are so camera shy!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom