The Middle Tennessee Thread

Wow I don't get on here for a day or two and POW busy busy!
Welcome to all the newbies! Glad you found us, great bunch here!
Donna I am totally stealing your idea on the brooders but will gladly give you full credit when anyone asks about them. Great idea any more pictures? My brother is building mine I will put up pics when he is done.
I am hoping to finish the one today. I will get more pics. My son put one light in yesterday. I am going to have 2 light sockets in each, on for a heat emitter and one for a CFL and that will be on a timer.

The black breese are not dual purpose they lay white eggs and look more like a leghorn. The white breese are the meat birds and lay a cream color eggs.... go figure they lay different color eggs.... egg production is totally different.

Brown leghorns should lay a white egg but not high production..... actually leghorns come in all kinds of colors. Cuckoo, black, blue, lavender...... RED I saw some on FB that looked like NH! Pretty birds. Not sure what other colors are out there.
Yes, I was looking into the Dark Brown prior to trying to get the MF Leghorns, but overall my understanding is that the more odd/rare colored ones as w/ most things Heritage just aren't what they used to be, meaning they don't lay very well anymore -- very sad, & would be nice to fix that but I'm pretty well full up on breeds w/ the HBR, SFH & C/CL so looking for something already "there".

@FeyRaine - I used to have a pair on Anconas and I loved them. The hen had a pretty large comb and it laid over and looked like a beret once she matured. She laid a nice sized clean white egg nearly everyday after she started laying. She also got to POL much quicker than the other pullets that brooded with her. I would say the only drawback to them was that they wanted to roost in a tree instead of the coop. After I get everything back re established around here, I'll definitely look into getting a flock of anconas.
Anconas is an interesting option. I actually have an Ancona x SFH Roo that I got from Goose & Figs who was to be rehomed today but that is delayed by weather (SNOW !!! & WIND crazy blow the house over wind ). He was too nice a boy to eat so he earned a place in the starter group I'm giving someone. I don't really know anything about the breed but this one mixed bird, plus you & Good&Figs both say they are nice...definitely worth considering!

Please see next post for my question :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom