The Middle Tennessee Thread

would you take 70 as is
D.gif

Help? Poultry and water fowl laws and ordinances in Brentwood/Nashville? We have one duck we live right near Cool Springs in Brentwood on a little more than an acre, all the neighbors love our duck but just making sure!

Well, I think these laws imply that you can have chickens and ducks as long as you don't let them disturb the peace or run at large.
This is the web site http://www.animallaw.info/local/loustnnashville.htm#s8.20.100
It seemed a little vague.

8.20.060 - Fowl at large prohibited—Impoundment.
A.
It is unlawful for the owner or the person in charge of any chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys or other domestic fowl. to permit them to run at large in any street, alley, public square, public place or unenclosed lot within the urban services district.​
B.
The department of health shall cause any fowl so running at large to be taken up and put in the metropolitan pound. It shall be the duty of the department of health and poundmaster and their assistants to take up such fowl and transport the same to the pound.​
(Prior code § 8-2-14)

8.12.010 - Keeping of animals that disturb the peace.
A.
It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal, dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.​
B.
Violation of this section shall be declared to be public nuisance which violation may be enjoined by any court of competent jurisdiction.​
(§ 2 of Amdt. 1 to Ord. 90-1275, 7/17/90; Ord. 90-1275 §§ 1, 2, 1990)
8.12.020 - Keeping of chickens.
No person shall keep chickens within the metropolitan government area in such a manner that a nuisance is created.
(Prior code § 8-1-1)

Well, I think these laws imply that you can have chickens and ducks as long as you don't let them disturb the peace or run at large.
This is the web site http://www.animallaw.info/local/loustnnashville.htm#s8.20.100
It seemed a little vague.

8.20.060 - Fowl at large prohibited—Impoundment.
A.
It is unlawful for the owner or the person in charge of any chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys or other domestic fowl. to permit them to run at large in any street, alley, public square, public place or unenclosed lot within the urban services district.​
B.
The department of health shall cause any fowl so running at large to be taken up and put in the metropolitan pound. It shall be the duty of the department of health and poundmaster and their assistants to take up such fowl and transport the same to the pound.​
(Prior code § 8-2-14)

8.12.010 - Keeping of animals that disturb the peace.
A.
It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal, dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.​
B.
Violation of this section shall be declared to be public nuisance which violation may be enjoined by any court of competent jurisdiction.​
(§ 2 of Amdt. 1 to Ord. 90-1275, 7/17/90; Ord. 90-1275 §§ 1, 2, 1990)
8.12.020 - Keeping of chickens.
No person shall keep chickens within the metropolitan government area in such a manner that a nuisance is created.
(Prior code § 8-1-1)
It says it was last updated in 2012..... that may all be different now. They passes the chicken law that had a sunshine provision and that has since passes and they are allowed all over NASHVILLE Davidson Co. The law is different in other counties. Another thing to think about is if you are in an Agricultural zoned area then you can have what ever you want in those areas.

Try here too..... I feel sure they are more up to date with info.
http://www.ucannashville.org/node/73

OK after reading that I don't think it is accurate either. I know that prior to the last vote some sections were EXEMPT and didn't allow hens.... but after the last vote chickens were allowed ALL OVER NASHVILLE. They didn't feel it was legal to have areas that were exempt. It is also dated 2012.... I know they passed the new law in late 2013 or early 2014.

Last edited:
Help? Poultry and water fowl laws and ordinances in Brentwood/Nashville? We have one duck we live right near Cool Springs in Brentwood on a little more than an acre, all the neighbors love our duck but just making sure!
I'm in Nashville and I have to have a permit to keep chickens. It costs $25/year. They also have specific regulations regarding the coop and run sq footage. This year when I renewed my permit I had to send in a picture of my coop for their file. Not sure about Williamson Cty or Ducks though...

I'm in Nashville and I have to have a permit to keep chickens. It costs $25/year. They also have specific regulations regarding the coop and run sq footage. This year when I renewed my permit I had to send in a picture of my coop for their file. Not sure about Williamson Cty or Ducks though...
Well that is really sad. Twenty-five dollar tax to keep chickens. Anyway they can make a buck to waste on something, they will.

Of course no one would report me or anything, but Brentwood is a "prestigious" city, and I feel like they wouldn't allow ducks because they don't want "dirty, filthy animals stinking up the air and taking up room" of course no one has said this but...

Back
Top Bottom