The Middle Tennessee Thread

I have 9 barred rocks that are the oldest of my 33 chicks/chickens. The BRs are 16 months old. Last week I noticed one of the BRs (Merida) in the nest box at night. Her comb was kind of pale and she seemed a little thin but otherwise okay. The next day when I was on my way home from work my husband told me when I got home to come to the coop. It was dusk and the other chickens had gone in but Merida was lying in the run. When he picked her up and set her on her feet she started walking. So he brought her to me and I noticed that the feathers just past her comb were missing and her comb had obviously been pecked a lot. Put her in the garage brooder for a couple of days. She seemed okay. Put her in a coop with 3 young silkies and a young frizzled Easter egger for a couple of days. She did okay but seemed to be keeping them from the food. So I put her in the main coop again and the other barred rocks immediately started attacking her. What could be the cause? She is now in a coop by herself.

Quote:Originally Posted by howfunkyisurchicken

Just wanted to share some of the beauties I kept back for myself this year. Enjoy!

Absolutely LOVE the white frizzy one !
love.gif

I have 9 barred rocks that are the oldest of my 33 chicks/chickens. The BRs are 16 months old. Last week I noticed one of the BRs (Merida) in the nest box at night. Her comb was kind of pale and she seemed a little thin but otherwise okay. The next day when I was on my way home from work my husband told me when I got home to come to the coop. It was dusk and the other chickens had gone in but Merida was lying in the run. When he picked her up and set her on her feet she started walking. So he brought her to me and I noticed that the feathers just past her comb were missing and her comb had obviously been pecked a lot. Put her in the garage brooder for a couple of days. She seemed okay. Put her in a coop with 3 young silkies and a young frizzled Easter egger for a couple of days. She did okay but seemed to be keeping them from the food. So I put her in the main coop again and the other barred rocks immediately started attacking her. What could be the cause? She is now in a coop by herself.
There may be something wrong with her. They will kill the weak one in the bunch.

There may be something wrong with her.  They will kill the weak one in the bunch. 

She definitely doesn't seem to be entirely healthy. I'm trying to treat her for impacted or sluggish crop. But I have chickens of all ages and sizes together and they have never been aggressive toward each other. I have had some young ones get sick and they have not attacked them like that. It's weird. I hope if I get her well they will let her back in.

She definitely doesn't seem to be entirely healthy. I'm trying to treat her for impacted or sluggish crop. But I have chickens of all ages and sizes together and they have never been aggressive toward each other. I have had some young ones get sick and they have not attacked them like that. It's weird. I hope if I get her well they will let her back in.
I'm dealing with putting a formerly sick hen back into the flock, just waiting for her to gain weight and strength. They will intregate better if you pull out one or two others to be with her now ( or when she is well enough), then move all three at the same time-after at least a week, that way the henpecking will be spread between 3 animals rather than the one.

I'm dealing with putting a formerly sick hen back into the flock, just waiting for her to gain weight and strength. They will intregate better if you pull out one or two others to be with her now ( or when she is well enough), then move all three at the same time-after at least a week, that way the henpecking will be spread between 3 animals rather than the one.

Thanks. That sounds like a great idea!

if the introduction goes awry, try putting them with fencing between them for a few days before the big night. It will allow them to recognize them as part of the flock and cut down on pecking.
Be sure to add them to the rest of the flock after dark. let me know how it goes!

if the introduction goes awry, try putting them with fencing between them for a few days before the big night. It will allow them to recognize them as part of the flock and cut down on pecking.
Be sure to add them to the rest of the flock after dark. let me know how it goes!

OR you can get some pinless peepers and put them on the ones picking on the others. I need to do that in my MFL pen.... now that I think about it.

I can't figure out the buy, sell, trade forums except for the buying part. It's not letting me post...so until I figure it out, I thought I might see if anyone needs my cockerel for any reason. Worth a shot. He's shaping up to be really well behaved with no signs of aggression and it would be a shame to eat him.

We're growing out our AM cockerels and trying to pick one for our AM hens and can't have 2 roosters as were a backyard flock. Only going to try and breed purebred AMs for awhile.

He's 14 weeks, a Dominique / SFH packing peanut we got in an egg order of Doms from another backyard breeder. He's got nice coloring, just not breeding either.

A little leakage in his wings, probably from his brown spotted Mom. He's barely crowing, and only does it at 10am and 5 PM. Haha.

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom