The Middle Tennessee Thread

Can you post a few pictures? If it's truly out of joint, you can try to put it back in and make a split to try to hold it in place, but that's very tricky in chickens! Not really a do-it-yourself project! It could very well be fractured, too. Photos wouldn't show that, of course, but some sort of visual would help....

I'll get some pics today. I think I got it to pop back into place this morning by extending the leg forward with my fingers while pressing the knob back toward the socket in the pelvis with my thumb. It clicked and the hips feel even now. She is still favoring the leg of course. If you know how to splint it that would be awesome.

If I truly have got it fixed I must credit my training as an animator and my animation teacher in teaching me how to move animations with their skeletons.

Last edited:
I'll get some pics today. I think I got it to pop back into place this morning by extending the leg forward with my fingers while pressing the knob back toward the socket in the pelvis with my thumb. It clicked and the hips feel even now. She is still favoring the leg of course. If you know how to splint it that would be awesome.

If I truly have got it fixed I must credit my training as an animator and my animation teacher in teaching me how to move animations with their skeletons.
Awesome! You should be a chicken doctor! :)

I'm in Manchester Tn. Wondering if anyone close might know where I can find some Barred Rock Laying Hens.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm also in Manchester. Have you tried the backyard chickens Facebook group?

I'm in Manchester Tn. Wondering if anyone close might know where I can find some Barred Rock Laying Hens.
Shelbyville Farm Center on Hway 231 north of Shelbyville has Barred Rock chicks right now. I was in there today, but didn't think to ask if they were pullets. Would be worth calling them and asking if you can't find any hens!

I got a pullet that is limping. Obviously doesn't want to put weight on her left. I've washed her feet and looked at them and can't find the problem. Any ideas?

Could just be strained. I had a pullet do the same thing last year. She started limping out of the blue and I couldn't find anything wrong. I isolated her in a dog crate in the coop so she wouldn't move around as much. After a week or so of R&R, she was right as rain :)

Could just be strained. I had a pullet do the same thing last year. She started limping out of the blue and I couldn't find anything wrong. I isolated her in a dog crate in the coop so she wouldn't move around as much. After a week or so of R&R, she was right as rain :)

I don't have a good place to isolate her. Normally I would use the brooder but it's full of chicks and the broody coop is full of broodies. I guess I'll keep an eye on her. Even with a bad limp she was hard to catch so maybe she'll do okay.

I don't have a good place to isolate her. Normally I would use the brooder but it's full of chicks and the broody coop is full of broodies. I guess I'll keep an eye on her. Even with a bad limp she was hard to catch so maybe she'll do okay.

Are some of those chicks Java's?

Back
Top Bottom