The Middle Tennessee Thread

Good morning, fellow Middle Tennesseans!

Just curious where you guys are buying your feed. I've heard from a couple people that they venture to Scottsville, Ky to Hoover Feed Mill or Mazelin Feed Mill. They're Amish, so there's not a lot of info about them online. Anyone buy from either of these places? When is the best time to go or when are they open? What can I expect to pay for 50lb of layer?

Until now, I've only purchased from the Co-Op so I have no idea what to expect when buying directly from a feed mill. I've never even been to a feed mill before, so any input is appreciated!

Thank you!

Good morning, fellow Middle Tennesseans!

Just curious where you guys are buying your feed. I've heard from a couple people that they venture to Scottsville, Ky to Hoover Feed Mill or Mazelin Feed Mill. They're Amish, so there's not a lot of info about them online. Anyone buy from either of these places? When is the best time to go or when are they open? What can I expect to pay for 50lb of layer?

Until now, I've only purchased from the Co-Op so I have no idea what to expect when buying directly from a feed mill. I've never even been to a feed mill before, so any input is appreciated!

Thank you!

I'm not happy with my feed situation either. I just don't like Edwards finely ground feed ($12 ish/50#). Brian has quit getting the non-GMO feed, but the coop in Carthage still makes it for $20/50#. Only 16% protein though. Bonnie's Barnyard has some pretty good chick feed, (21%). They also sell Tucker's super layer (22%) which is pelleted and my chickens hate it. It is around $15/50#. Feather fixer is good, but $20+/50#. A friend brought a chick feed (22%) from VA to me, which seems great. The chicks have taken off, but it is in VA. :(

Scottsville KY is quite a road trip, but it is tempting. Does anyone know what the % protein is in their layer?

Would love to hear what others have found.

I'm not happy with my feed situation either. I just don't like Edwards finely ground feed ($12 ish/50#). Brian has quit getting the non-GMO feed, but the coop in Carthage still makes it for $20/50#. Only 16% protein though. Bonnie's Barnyard has some pretty good chick feed, (21%). They also sell Tucker's super layer (22%) which is pelleted and my chickens hate it. It is around $15/50#. Feather fixer is good, but $20+/50#. A friend brought a chick feed (22%) from VA to me, which seems great. The chicks have taken off, but it is in VA. :(

Scottsville KY is quite a road trip, but it is tempting. Does anyone know what the % protein is in their layer?

Would love to hear what others have found.
The mill in KY is close to Joel's recipe--but not quite. Hopefully, we'll get the coop going soon. There's a farm in cookeville that goes to ky every six weeks or so and picks up 5000-6000 pounds each trip. I'm going by the coop tuesday to chat with them. I'm ordering a ton of broiler feed (18%) for delivery around the 19th. Once he has everything for broiler, he has everything he needs for chick starter. They are pretty much the same ingredients, just a different ratio. If he can't make it, then I'll order a ton from VA and can add starter to the order. As long as I order a ton or more, shipping is about $4.00 - $4.50 per bag.

I buy all of my feed from Hoover's. I give $18 for 50 lb of 26% game feed. The layer feed is 100lb of 15% for $16. I can't remember what I pay for the grower and starter, I think they're around $8 for 50lb bags.
I ferment all of it and they can't wait to get it. They will run into the garage to get it every time the door is open.
The mill is open Mon-Fri until 5pm it closes from 12-12:30 for lunch.

Last edited:
I buy all of my feed from Hoover's. I give $18 for 50 lb of 26% game feed. The layer feed is 100lb of 15% for $16. I can't remember what I pay for the grower and starter, I think they're around $8 for 50lb bags.
I ferment all of it and they can't wait to get it. They will run into the garage to get it every time the door is open.

That's just the info I was looking for!! Thank you so much!

Tuckers 22% at Bonnies is less than $12 a 50# bag. I buy a ton at a time and get a discount. Tuckers is PORK based feed. Most from feed mills is going to be soy or corn. Chickens really need meat... they are not vegetarians, not matter what they are going to eat bugs, frogs anything they can. Mine are penned so they get PORK feed and THRIVE! I haven't meet a grown chicken yet that will not eat pellets. If they want to eat they eat pellets and don't waste it. Chicks... not so much.

Like you I had issues with Edwards feed being fine. Birds waste it gets stuck in feeders and the list goes on. ALL mills are going to have the same feed type. They don't make pellets. Edwards game feed is the BEST! If I could afford it for all the birds I would feed them all game feed.

As anyone got a feed tag for that starter feed in KY? Directions? or address? Might be worth a trip for starter.

That 26% game feed....is that starter, is it medicated? Where is Hoovers?

Back
Top Bottom