The Middle Tennessee Thread

Well we have had our first major tragedy today. I bought some turkeys back in March, so we kept them inside until June so they wouldn't get cold. We would let them out at night to play with them and they would fly and run all through the house. So, y'all know they were spoiled babies. We lost all but one over the months, so he really was a baby. We were pulling out of the drive today and my daughter ran over him. She was devastated, even saying "How can I be a nurse? I can't take care of anything!" So, now we have to find some more so she can be a nurse.
1f600.png
We might be a little far for you, but we have Tiger Naragansetts, Royal Palm, Blue Slate, Mottled Blue, Black, Pencilled Palm and Calico turkeys from about 3 weeks to 4 months old. $15, $20 and $30 each depending on age/size. We are between Shelbyville, Lynchburg and Tullahoma.

I took almost the exact same pic of that price list yesterday! Lol!

Are you feeding the layer that's at the top of the list for $8.25/50lb? If so, have you fortified or supplemented with anything. Just curious. They said it was a complete feed. I will openly admit I'm no expert on the dietary needs of chickens. I know they'll eat most anything, but what they *need* to eat is something different.

If you don't mind me asking, what does fermenting the feed entail? I make homemade cider and wine, so the process of fermenting isn't foreign to me, but I've never considered fermenting feed. I'm envisioning staggering chickens and "hard" eggs. Haha!

Mine also free range from about 8 or 9am til dark, so I assume they're getting all the bugs and stuff they want. I've always used layer crumble and it's not entirely obvious what it consists of. The layer feed from Hoovers looks like it has a bit of pellet in it, but you can also see corn and other grains, etc. I don't usually feed corn or scratch in the warm weather, so when I saw the obvious corn in the Hoovers layer I didn't know what to make of it.

In simple terms, it makes the feed more nutritious. They eat less and they stink less. They grow and recover better. They lay more eggs that have harder shells.
I recommend checking out the "Fermented feed... anyone using them" page. A LOT of information there.
All you have to do is pick out the container size that you need to make a feeding. Put enough feed that you can still add water to soak all the feed. The grain will soak it up, so you may need to add water until it's a consistency that you like. Cover it with something that will allow air to escape and enter. I put my bucket lid back on and don't snap it shut. Stir once or twice a day for 24 hrs. It will smell sweet and sour(fermenty). It's not hard at all.
I feed 12 chickens 1/2 cup a day and 100 lbs. will last at least a month.

Last edited:
I did it for a while in the spring, for 40. They loved it and it really cut down on feed costs. I still gave them free-choice pellets. It took them about a week to start really liking it. You can start it with just plain old feed, or you can jump start it with a couple "glugs" of ACV. I've done both. There are some really goods threads about fermenting feed on here!

ETA....I used a medium plastic bin and drilled several dozen small holes in the lid. I ALSO bought a huge spoon, for stirring, and a cheap koolaid pitcher for dipping it out to feed them.

Last edited:
Hello! I am new to BYC. I live in McEwen which is west of Nashville. Can I get some help? Our barred rock chickens are about 21 weeks old. They came from the 4H chick chain and my daughter showed them at the fair this weekend. The other birds had big red wattles and combs but not ours. They are still small and pink. Are we doing something wrong or can we do something different to help them? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom